Too late to repot Amur?

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Along with some pines that I recently acquired I've also gotten 3 Acer ginnala. Unlike the pines though these guys are larger ranging from 3-5 gallon pot size and up to about 12 ft whips on them. They are extremely rootbound and they badly need some branches removed to avoid damaging the existing trunkline.

Would you wait on the repotting and trimming or try and sneak it in now? Thanks!

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Would you wait on the repotting and trimming or try and sneak it in now? Thanks!
Grog, need some more information. What state are your maples in? Have they leafed out, or do you have just really good bud swell? Here my Japanese maples have started to leaf out. My Korean maples and tridents just have really good bud swell. So with out knowing how far your progression has gone would be hard to advise.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They've just started to leaf out. Not a good thing probably.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I also do Japanese Maples in the summer. Amur Maples as well can be done in summer after the leaves have fully opened and hardened. They are extremely vigorous trees and are capable of taking a good deal of abuse. In some areas they are looked on as weeds.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent! I'm looking at quite a mess as it is now, after another year's growth they probably would've ended up in someone's yard instead. Thanks for the advice!

Top Bottom