Too soon?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very nice...I don't think I will have blooms on mine. Was reading of where they thrive...because I will have a new bench in full afternoon sun. And...seems they really don't like dappled sun to bloom. Year before I thought it was from a fungal issue. Now I think it was a location issue. My bench got full ...and I set it out under the pergola on the wall...in dappled sun at best. So keep me posted on the flowers!!! My forsythia is blooming now...waiting on the full show. Itching to repot and work the roots. Founds some inspiration.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Best of luck with this. I know we both got ours from Brent this year, but was checking mine this morning and no signs
of movement yet. I've kept mine outdoors out of any sunlight mulched well under my sun room.
Our Winter probably more mild than yours this year? but did have near 0º with that cold Arctic blast in January.
I was checking mine to consider re-potting prior to Spring movement per Bonsai Empire species care guide...

As to moles/voles, I 1st spread granular MoleMax on the ground in my "bonsai cave" then mulched well
around all my pots, then a second application on top of everything of the MoleMax.
I also used a granular lawn insecticide with the MoleMax stirred into the mulch. So far no damage this year
even with the loss of the outdoor cat that always left us mole trophies to step on just outside the entrance door.
Hope next year fairs better for weathering. Could be the difference in climates from recent years care to current Winter
that caused the early movement. Like it was predestined to occur having been raised in California.
I think next year or two may possibly change this in your favour, hoping anyway.
It has actually been a colder winter than we've had for awhile. December was a bit mild, but a cold January. I had a beauty berry in the same place, and no signs of movement on it.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't see flowers until April, so I think this is pretty early to be growing.
Long way to go until you can get it outside. Crabs are pretty rugged, should pull thru.
Good luck with it. Try to keep it colder next year. After a hundred days or so, any temps near 40 or above will wake them, I've noticed.
Good luck!!!:)

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Try to keep it colder next year
It was my first winter with them, so I hesitated to leave them outside on the ground. They are small and there's lots of critters. The garage is unheated and detached, and the beauty berry is still sleeping, but maybe they will need to stay outside next year. The temps have been fluctuating so much, 49 today, low of 10 and possible snow on Sunday. But that's life in IL :(.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was it in the garage this winter?

If you already stated this oopps.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, was in the garage. At least you got a growing season to figure out a spot for winter.:(

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The Mary Potter is loaded with blooms, just starting to open.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeeeaahhhh…...and...….booooooooo!!!;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Gorgeous blooms.....criminally early!!!! Your tennis shoes will be getting a workout this spring. Well, dependent on over-night lows in your area.
Might still be a coupleafew weeks before you can actually take it outside for a day.:mad::mad::mad:
Crabs do like to wake early though, again, try to keep it colder next year.:cool:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So, after they bloomed, the leaves on the Prairie Fire suddenly wilted and died. It's been in the 50's during the day here, so they have been going outside for the day, back inside at night. The Mary Potter is fine, but I'm pretty sure the Prairie Fire is a goner. What would have caused such a sudden decline? They are kept in the same place, both inside and out.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Hoping for a 2nd flush of leaves for you. Hang in there.
Now would be a good time to get a couple more, so they remain outdoors next Winter.
Thanks for the happy thoughts. But the winters here are so unpredictable, I think I might not foray any deeper into trees that require dormancy. On a happy note, my beauty berry has made it through it's second winter here.

Top Bottom