Tools Of The Trade To Precisely Cut

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What tools can you use to make a diagonal, clean cut on a 2" trunk with branches nearby? Concave and knob cutters until u end up with a clean line? Saw/hacksaw?

And maybe a grinding tool, like a Dremel?

Thanks.

Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What tools can you use to make a diagonal, clean cut on a 2" trunk with branches nearby? Concave and knob cutters until u end up with a clean line? Saw/hacksaw?

And maybe a grinding tool, like a Dremel?

Thanks.

I'd use a pull saw. You can get them with very fine teeth, and blades as small or large as you need to fit into your space.

21qhD8ToseL._AC_SX466_.jpg

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A fein tool if you want smooth like butter results. Not a bonsai tool. But one I've got in my arsenal. For smooth flat roots to for repotting when they are thick. But also makes good use of what you are asking. 😉 again not a bonsai tool.
View attachment 481816
Hard to make out what that does. Is it a saw? What motion does it make?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hard to make out what that does. Is it a saw? What motion does it make?
Yes...a hand saw. There is a video if you swipe on the images in the Amazon link. Showing use. My husband is a general contractor. This tool is golden.

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Last edited:

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Definitely agree, there are a ton of blade options and they cut like butter. The Dewalt version with the quick release blade mechanism is a great tool.

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Definitely agree, there are a ton of blade options and they cut like butter. The Dewalt version with the quick release blade mechanism is a great tool.
Got the tool and it works well. How do you grind or carve? A drill with an abbrasive bit? By hand with cutters?

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Something bigger than a dremel, as it is for larger trees. I don't see that I can use the oscillating tool I just got.

Last edited:

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I haven't thought of using my oscillating cutter on bonsai. Thanks for the inspiration!

Top Bottom