Total Bonsai Noob!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have some gardening/plant experience. I must say that I have healthy houseplants. Every summer, I have an outdoor patio garden which I take very good care of (I'm very meticulous). Anyway, my Dad bought me two different bonsai plants for Christmas this year. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THEM!!!!! So I need lots of advice so I don't hurt them.

Bonsai #1
This was bought online from CZ Grain. The invoice says that it is a Green Weeping Willow Tree Cutting - Thick Trunk Start. It came in the mail today. There is a thick cutting and an extra thin cutting. I have placed them both in two separate glasses with 2-3 inches of water. I am waiting for them to sprout roots, so I have a little time before I plant them. Need advice on getting started.

Bonsai #2 (below)
This was bought on Amazon (don't know the seller off-hand). I need some help identifying it. I think it's a Japanese Needle Juniper (???). It's not a fun plant to handle. I have no idea what I'm doing with this. It came a couple days ago. Today, I noticed a tiny bit of the needles turning reddish. You can't see in this pictture. Help!!!!!!

Here is my plant today. It's really tiny:

JapNeedJun.jpg

I should add that I am placing both of these plants on the carpeted floor in front of my sliding glass doors. They face south and get sun all day. It is cold outside right now though and it's not exactly cozy warm near those doors, but I want the plants to get light, and I have some other house plants there that are doing great. This little plant above - the soil seams tightly packed. It's very difficult to tell how moist it is. The planter is heavy, so it's hard to tell. I feel I shouldn't trim anything on this as it's so small. Advice?

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Its not an ideal start. Limp it along til spring. If it is still alive put it outside. There it shall stay for the rest of its life.

If it lives and grows, let it just get bushy and overgrown.

In the mean time read about wiring, repotting, and bonsai soils (relatively coarse and free draining like pumice or sifted perlite).

Odds are good, you will kill it. That is just a thing which happens in this hobby.

Knowledge accumulation is key now.

BiscoDrew

Sapling
Reaction score
Its not an ideal start. Limp it along til spring. If it is still alive put it outside. There it shall stay for the rest of its life.

If it lives and grows, let it just get bushy and overgrown.

In the mean time read about wiring, repotting, and bonsai soils (relatively coarse and free draining like pumice or sifted perlite).

Odds are good, you will kill it. That is just a thing which happens in this hobby.

Knowledge accumulation is key now.

What is an ideal start? I'm trying to root this juniper cutting and it looks kind of similar.

Attachments

• WIN_20201231_19_14_38_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20201231_19_14_38_Pro.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 29

BiscoDrew

Sapling
Reaction score
Are evergreens dormant during winter? Couldn't controlled temp cause better growth?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey, if it's only been in my house a couple days, is it still too late to move it outside?
I've had it since Saturday. Won't this little pot of dirt turn into a chunk of ice outside?

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dormancy is something trees ease into with waning light.

This could have come from a greenhouse in Mississippi.

Freezing it immediately will probably kill it.

BiscoDrew

Sapling
Reaction score
Room temp with as much direct light as possible. Fingers crossed that, as Jeff Goldblum aptly said, life will find a way...

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I have some gardening/plant experience. I must say that I have healthy houseplants. Every summer, I have an outdoor patio garden which I take very good care of (I'm very meticulous). Anyway, my Dad bought me two different bonsai plants for Christmas this year. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THEM!!!!! So I need lots of advice so I don't hurt them.

Bonsai #1
This was bought online from CZ Grain. The invoice says that it is a Green Weeping Willow Tree Cutting - Thick Trunk Start. It came in the mail today. There is a thick cutting and an extra thin cutting. I have placed them both in two separate glasses with 2-3 inches of water. I am waiting for them to sprout roots, so I have a little time before I plant them. Need advice on getting started.

Bonsai #2 (below)
This was bought on Amazon (don't know the seller off-hand). I need some help identifying it. I think it's a Japanese Needle Juniper (???). It's not a fun plant to handle. I have no idea what I'm doing with this. It came a couple days ago. Today, I noticed a tiny bit of the needles turning reddish. You can't see in this pictture. Help!!!!!!

View attachment 347138

I should add that I am placing both of these plants on the carpeted floor in front of my sliding glass doors. They face south and get sun all day. It is cold outside right now though and it's not exactly cozy warm near those doors, but I want the plants to get light, and I have some other house plants there that are doing great. This little plant above - the soil seams tightly packed. It's very difficult to tell how moist it is. The planter is heavy, so it's hard to tell. I feel I shouldn't trim anything on this as it's so small. Advice?
I am a beginner too but I have one piece of advice
Do not by those “bonsai”
They aren’t actually bonsai and just basically scams. Go on 99 cent bonsai club oh Facebook and on Sunday then auctions will start to buy some trees ! :)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Willow cutting best off planting in soil now. Reason why being roots grown in H2O very tender and likely break if put in soil after sprouting.

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B

Bonsai #1

Bonsai #2 (below)

View attachment 347138

With bonsai #2 of it is heavy now, it can be because it has enough water. If a day goes by and the pot is lighter than the soil is dying out.

“Watering. Evergreen junipers are extremely drought tolerant and prefer their soil on the dry side. ... Water newly planted juniperstwice a week when there is no rainfall for the first two months. Junipers need weekly watering for the first summer to develop an extensive root system.”

get them away from the sliding glass door and put them under grow lights. They don’t need to be the most expensive lights to keep it alive. What you want to do is simulate the growing season, while indoors. When spring comes find the greatest spot for it you can. (shade/light requirements) and spend some time researching and setting up an area to overwinter it next winter.

for your first bonsai book I would recommend this one.

Top Bottom