TP Trident.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you ever seen the tiny Japanese Maple within this classic?

View attachment 175527

Not the cover tree, it's under the cover so I don't think I could post it. Your a good lookin' grower so I don't think it would be anything more than inspirational.

PopMac used to call this "Wishbook" stuff if I had something bookish/magazine I would carry around as a punk.....but he gets it now, or me at least. Tree in a pot he digs, I guess.....

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't like how the big scar looks, so perhaps I should let trunk thicken a lot more? I need to manage scars better.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't like how the big scar looks, so perhaps I should let trunk thicken a lot more? I need to manage scars better.
I am wanting a little expose (Fr.) on what you did that amounts to not managing scars versus what proper scar management would be. Horticulture not personal issues/blame, I mean.

Last edited:

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I am wanting a little expose (Fr.) on what you did that amounts to not managing scars versus what proper scar management would be. Horticulture not personal issues/blame, I mean.
I'm not really sure yet, 🐻👶. Does the scar look ok? I think perhaps I should have cut better, and carved into trunk in a concave manner. I have better tools now, so maybe I my scars should also improve.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm not really sure yet, 🐻👶. Does the scar look ok? I think perhaps I should have cut better, and carved into trunk in a concave manner. I have better tools now, so maybe I my scars should also improve.
I was intrigued by your comment and thought you had it all figured out and were going to save me from having to think about it. :D

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I do recall Peter Tea showing in his blog that he just 'shaved' the bump down to be smooth with the trunk. I don't have a clear memory of him showing the 'scar' after another season or so. I still don't understand how that could work, even on a trident, but nature does what it does without any regard for what I think it ought to do. 🤔

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I do recall Peter Tea showing in his blog that he just 'shaved' the bump down to be smooth with the trunk. I don't have a clear memory of him showing the 'scar' after another season or so. I still don't understand how that could work, even on a trident, but nature does what it does without any regard for what I think it ought to do. 🤔
I think with species that develop callus very quickly, the wound needs to be concave. Otherwise you end up with a bump. With species tha develop callus slower, a somewhat smooth cut would be ok. Maybe someone with more experience could chime in.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The problem is you have a large scar to cover. It will eventually cover, but it will take time.

The better way to develop trunks is to start the chops when the tree is younger and thinner. That way, the scars are smaller, but the heal over faster, and will less noticeable as the tree ages. It takes longer to develop the same girth trunk, but it develops a higher quality trunk. Of course, it’s too late for that now, it is what it is.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The problem is you have a large scar to cover. It will eventually cover, but it will take time.

The better way to develop trunks is to start the chops when the tree is younger and thinner. That way, the scars are smaller, but the heal over faster, and will less noticeable as the tree ages. It takes longer to develop the same girth trunk, but it develops a higher quality trunk. Of course, it’s too late for that now, it is what it is.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Hi 👋 any tips (anyone?!?) on removing this type of cut paste? I find it can leave residue/chunks on the tree. I scrape at it a little and use a toothbrush

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi 👋 any tips (anyone?!?) on removing this type of cut paste? I find it can leave residue/chunks on the tree. I scrape at it a little and use a toothbrush
I'm sure somebody got an answer for you. I've moved on to either wood glue or duct seal putty.

Top Bottom