Trash or Tree??

Gandalph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pulled this out of the same fence row. Don't have a clue as to what it is. Been searching for about an hour

Anyone have a clue??

Thanks in advance.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like young oak leaves I believe. Looks like the oak around here which are mostly all red, white, and hybrids.

Gandalph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like young oak leaves I believe. Looks like the oak around here which are mostly all red, white, and hybrids.

Yeah
I thought the same thing except the leaves on this are somewhat "fuzzy". Never seen an oak with that sort of texture. Most I've come across have smoother leaves.

Thanks for the response though :)

sfhellwig

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had collected a seedling with this type of leaf thinking it was a chinkapin oak. Come to find out the tree down the street was a chestnut of some sort. I don't know if it is considered a compound leaf but I was seeing single pieces and wondering why there were chestnut hulls under an oak tree. There are a few different kinds but that might get you in the right direction.

Also, chestnuts are opposite, not alternate.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah
I thought the same thing except the leaves on this are somewhat "fuzzy". Never seen an oak with that sort of texture. Most I've come across have smoother leaves.

Thanks for the response though :)

I have some oaks in which the young leaves are "fuzzy" but harden up in a week or two.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you tried smoking any yet? Looks promising...

Top Bottom