Tree ID plz...

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A friend gave me a wagon load of plants a few years ago. This one was amongst them. Cant remember if he named it, but I cant id it. The leaf edges turned red in the height of summer. Note the wings on the new branches....winged elm...? Can anybody help please...?
2016-03-07 12.58.52.jpg 2016-03-07 12.59.07.jpg 2016-03-07 12.59.23.jpg 2016-03-07 13.00.53.jpg

Last edited:

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It really looks like Euonymus alatus for me. Opposite leaf arrangement, older bark green and those wings on the branches... Were the leaves red in the fall? I mean the reddiest of the red.

Last edited:

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes it does look like Euonymus alatus. My apologies Stan Kengai.
Not sure it will make a good bonsai though...?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It has a weird growth pattern, but I've seen very good trees, WP's among them. It's red like fire if exposed to full sun in the fall.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've not known any other species to have those winged sections. Other than the winged elm...and when I first seen it I thought it diseased. Until schooled. Now that I know otherwise...I see more and more with them. Very cool tree!

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah i'm quite exited by what I saw on google. It took two seasons to start growing. It just sat there doing nothing. This year it took off. Ill grow it on and see about bonsaing it later. Thanks to all :)

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've not known any other species to have those winged sections. Other than the winged elm...and when I first seen it I thought it diseased. Until schooled. Now that I know otherwise...I see more and more with them. Very cool tree!
Some winged forms of the field maple (acer campestre) can be found here growing wild.

Fredman, by weird growth I mean it grows like a bush, branches grow naturally a little bit horizontally. Young branches need to be wired soon in development. When wired, branches hold the shape soon. But workable, back buds very good from old wood... But you will see it.

Top Bottom