tree ID plz?

Reaction score
I dug up this tree and i have no idea what it is. Any ideas?? Thanks.

Attachments

• P1020267.jpg
    P1020267.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 165
  • P1020272.jpg
    P1020272.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 134

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like it could be a box elder. Are those common in your area?

Jessf

Mame
Reaction score
looks like box older to me as well. In fact the Amur maple I thought I had is in fact a box elder. If you can plant it in the ground it will grow like crazy. All assuming it's a box elder, of course.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Third vote for box elder here. I'm pretty sure that's what it is.
Oliver

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Box elder, yes, in case you wanted another vote. They're indigenous here, so I've seen a few. ;)

As for bonsai: I've never seen one that I can recall, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I'd suggest aiming for a fairly large final tree, because of the size of the compound leaves.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
B Barry, I was thinking poison Oak. No bonsai experiance with these for me.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep its a box elder. I have one myself I collected out of my yard with some decent trunk thickness on it. Don't know if I'm going to keep it though (if its even worth it). Seems like it just doesn't want to cooperate when it comes to shaping, and I heard that its very hard if not impossible to work with them.

Reaction score
Yep its a box elder. I have one myself I collected out of my yard with some decent trunk thickness on it. Don't know if I'm going to keep it though (if its even worth it). Seems like it just doesn't want to cooperate when it comes to shaping, and I heard that its very hard if not impossible to work with them.

yeah i tried to wire a young branch and it broke off. im just gonna shape by pruning. grows like a weed.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Box elder is a trashy, all too common tree where I live. I tried one or two 20 years ago and gave up. The wood is extremely light, rots quickly, and the branches are brittle and will die off for no apparent reason. Plus you have the compound leaves on the end of long petioles to deal with, which limits how much reduction and ramification you can expect.

Zach

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah like I said, I might give it another year of trying, but probably throw it out and make my effort more worth while by using that effort on something better.

Reaction score
im gonna just grow it and see what happens. maybe someday i'll put it in the ground. its an enjoyable plant in my eyes even if it's not likely to become a great bonsai..

Top Bottom