Tree Memorial Thread (Trees you miss)

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hello, as life and Bonsai intertwine sometimes, part of that journey is the loss. In my opinion I put so much time and effort that when I did not do best I could even as someone as a student … I want to use my examples as a way to help others learn or get visibility to losses and not just successes / finished trees because the reality is we have all killed Bonsai trees.
1.Share some of your trees that you have lost along the way and miss due to whatever reason.
1a.If they died what you would have done differently today
2. If you sold them , has the current owner ever shared a recent picture.

Last edited:

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I’ll start.
Here is a Japanese red pine that died last year from a very bad fungal infection. What I would have done differently is dormancy spraying which has since benefitted my other pines / collection in general. And I would have planted in a better container with more appropriate soil mix and container size/ drainage. I actually miss this pine.
IMG_3568.jpeg
Here is a Quercus Alba , native white oak .. it’s imprinted in my mind to redeem myself one day whenever I come across one like it . I was too aggressive with root work and should have used better substrate and tie down in this flat. It had such great potential, and I often think of what would be if I was more careful.
IMG_3567.jpeg

Last edited:

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've only been at this a couple years and have been relatively lucky that my losses haven't been too bad (knock on wood).

I lost this little cotoneaster to what I think was fire blight. It wasn't much but it was the first tree I bought specifically for bonsai so it was a bummer to lose it. Although, in the long run it will probably save me some time/money/grief because I learned I don't know enough to own a tree that is so susceptible to blight/fungus.
78059.jpg

This bougainvillea is basically day-to-day, I'm hoping I won't have to add it to this list. It's a cutting from a bougie in my yard, I love the movement and think it would make a killer tree in just a couple years. However, we had a ton of rain earlier in the year and I think it stayed to wet and got root rot. fingers crossed!
IMG-6451.jpg

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I had this amazing wisteria mame that had a miniature runner. The leaves at the top of the runner were impossibly small!!

The next summer, thinking wisteria to be indestructible, I did a bare root repot into a pond basket.

It died so quickly! Fuck pond baskets!

20180708102224_0V5A3851.jpg

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Biggest loss was this shohin buttonwood from last year
32462D55-87B0-4481-959E-4F37C7985A29.jpeg

And unfortunately this year has been worse than last with tree deaths. Thankfully, none nowhere close to this nice, but a few are projects I was attached to. The positive side is I’ve definitely learned a lot with these tree deaths.

Cenovak

Seedling
Reaction score
I, too, experienced an unusually high rate of tree loss this winter and spring. Many air trees I have had for almost a decade and never any trouble. Years of development and affection for each branch gone…ginkgo, old chojubai from Bobby, white pine from TelperionIMG_0363.jpegIMG_8977.jpegIMG_0364.jpeg, and hackberry from Julian Tsai. RIPIMG_0361.jpeg

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I, too, experienced an unusually high rate of tree loss this winter and spring. Many air trees I have had for almost a decade and never any trouble. Years of development and affection for each branch gone…ginkgo, old chojubai from Bobby, white pine from TelperionView attachment 504463View attachment 504464View attachment 504466, and hackberry from Julian Tsai. RIPView attachment 504462
Dang that's a bummer! What was the culprit?

Top Bottom