Trident Maple #001

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Nov. 3rd and this maple looks like it's spring. Maybe I can coax some color out of this puppy.

Tree is 8 inches tall, trunk 2.25 at soil line. Pot by Koyo.

DSC_0010.JPG

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Great.

Could even be better without a flash light.

Love the tree, love the painting, love the display.

D

Deleted member 21616

great oribe! Triple stamp koyo? The blue in it is nice!

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
What might you do to "coax" color?....assuming you're referring to Autumn color...
1. Air flow is paramount to bringing fall color. This maple is buried on my shohin structure which is three sided and does not get good circulation

2. Full sun by day. Color is brought on by cold nights and sunny days. Color comes slow here cause we have very short fall and seem to go from hot to winter in a week. This year is good. Last year was terrible hot to cold in a week.

3. Reduce water and allow plant to dry between waterings. This is what happens in nature this time of year. Winter rains have not come yet and tree will be dry for long periods. For us we continue to water too much in fall and hinder the natural process of the tree.

What do I do? Get a table and put the tree right in the middle of the yard for a week. Keep in mind this is 11-3-18. We will check the tree in a week. If I did nothing it would stay green, sometimes all year. Let’s see if I know my shit.
7CB850AE-89B9-45D5-9724-68C6A92834AB.jpeg

These two larger tridents while on a bench too have much more airflow and some sun during the day. The smaller tree is turning butter yellow and will improve after I move them tomorrow.

2158D114-79DB-4573-86D7-61E0667AC9E0.jpeg19ED559B-CEF6-4C11-92E9-721033D742BE.jpeg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
1. Air flow is paramount to bringing fall color. This maple is buried on my shohin structure which is three sided and does not get good circulation

2. Full sun by day. Color is brought on by cold nights and sunny days. Color comes slow here cause we have very short fall and seem to go from hot to winter in a week. This year is good. Last year was terrible hot to cold in a week.

3. Reduce water and allow plant to dry between waterings. This is what happens in nature this time of year. Winter rains have not come yet and tree will be dry for long periods. For us we continue to water too much in fall and hinder the natural process of the tree.

What do I do? Get a table and put the tree right in the middle of the yard for a week. Keep in mind this is 11-3-18. We will check the tree in a week. If I did nothing it would stay green, sometimes all year. Let’s see if I know my shit.
View attachment 215911

These two larger tridents while on a bench too have much more airflow and some sun during the day. The smaller tree is turning butter yellow and will improve after I move them tomorrow.

View attachment 215912View attachment 215913
Awesome!
Thanks!

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This pot was just meant to go with a painted background like this. Looking really good.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
What might you do to "coax" color?....assuming you're referring to Autumn color...

11 days in the middle of the lawn. The rest of the blocked tridents on the bench are still green. It may get better but sometimes the leaves just decide to start falling off without and more color. Some of the leaves at the top are already falling now, so I think in about three days it will be leafless.

DSC_00081.JPG

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the knowledge share, just moving it to a location with more air movement brought out some color. Cool!!!

Top Bottom