Trident Maple Leaf problems

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi,

The leaves on my trident maple have an almost black stained tinge to them. It won't wipe off. Any ideas on a cause or how to proceed to get it back to health appreciated.

Pics enc.

Attachments

• 2013-05-29 17.22.41.jpg
    2013-05-29 17.22.41.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 82
  • 2013-05-29 17.23.01.jpg
    2013-05-29 17.23.01.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 70

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks a bit like sooty mold, although I always thought that rinsed off. Have you seen any insect activity? It doesn't look like sun scorch.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes when I googled it this looked the most likely. However, sooty mould occurs because of insect activity - honeydew of aphids etc creating the conditions to host the mould. This won't scrape off even with the fingernail.

I did spray using a systemic fungicide too ... I wonder if it is a chemical induced condition?

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks to me like sooty mold also, which btw does not wash off. For me, sooty mold on maples is usually caused by whiteflies (larvae are the biggest culprits) and by aphids on Rosaceae family plants. Get rid of your pests and the mold will go away on its own.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
oddly mine did this after a treatment and I cannot find a single insect. and the lil leaves coming out black and then dried up. Treated with bayer that had a disease controlhopefully this will help.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It has never been repotted. It's in a large pot for growing on bought from a nursery last year.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Do you have a picture of the whole tree? I've found trident really only has problems up top if there are problems down below. What's it growing in media wise and is the soil still loose or has it compacted?

Top Bottom