Trident maple seedlings

Rod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have some trident maple seedlings all the leaves have dropped except the ones at the top, that is the new growth. They are orange in color, but won’t pull off easily as the other older leaves. Is this something I have to worry about, they are in my unheated greenhouse, right now it’s in low 30s in central Illinois and next week is supposed to be in the 40s-50s. Is there anything I need to do, except watch them die?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Why would you think you'll need to watch them die? You must still be in Fall transition, especially in a greenhouse. The trees know how to manage Fall and winter. They've been doing it for millions of years (albeit without greenhouse) so just let them get on with it and stop worrying.

Buckofive

Seedling
Reaction score
I bought trident maple seedling on eBay from a grower and just potted them up. I was a little concerned in the soil that I used. 50/50 mix of shrub and tree soil from Lowe’s and small pine bark nuggets. Does anyone have any feedback? Do you think they will be fine for this spring?

Attachments

• IMG_1560.jpeg
    IMG_1560.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1558.jpeg
    IMG_1558.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
They should be fine. Also, if you want to get more open soil, you could probably repot them as they’re not active.

Buckofive

Seedling
Reaction score
I think what concerned me about the tree and shrub soil was that it was completely soaked in water and seemed to almost be the consistency of broken down compost. That’s why I mixed it with pine bark. Not sure what else I could add to it. My plan is to maybe grow them a year and then field grow them on flat stones to eventually trunk chop.

Do you think it would be wise to try and cut the taproot now and pot them in shallower containers?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 20

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Cutting the roots is definitely a good move if you plan to produce quality bonsai. That will also give you the opportunity to change the soil for something better if you plan to keep them in containers. Broken down compost is great for garden beds but NOT a good ingredient in potting soil. Coarse sand, gravel or similar inorganic is a good additive to allow soils to drain better. Probably better than pine bark but everything depends on how you manage and water the pots. All sorts of potting soils are good provided you water according to the soil.
Cutting roots will encourage the trees to produce more, better lateral roots which will, in turn, help the base of the trunks to flare out more. Many bonsai growers swear by shallow containers but I find with good root trimming I can still get great root systems in deeper pots and the trees are a little easier to care for.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
To me that sounds like a great mix for unrestricted growth! The roots will be a little more leggy, but in the very beginning it's fine. I save bonsI soil for bonsai. If you're planning to grow up and thicken trunks your not going to beat something like that. I usually use a lot of perlite in the mix, but I can't imagine 50 gallons or more of bonsai soil.

Buckofive

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I know I have plenty of time as they’re still dormant so I’m in no hurry to do anything yet. I was only in a hurry once they arrived bare root so I will think about it some more. I do have another question about fertilizing this spring? Should I fertilize as soon as the leaves emerge this spring or hold off for another year?

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hold off for a month of growth or so. You never want to fertilize right after a root prune. Recommendations on fertilizer will be as varied as suggestions for soil. I prefer slow release in most cases. N:p:K numbers will also vary. I'm still experimenting on what is best, but something is definitely better than nothing and a nice round # is probably best. I haven't decided what I'm going to use this year, much less give advice on it. There are tons of discussions on fertilizing in this forum.

Last edited:

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I bought trident maple seedling on eBay from a grower and just potted them up. I was a little concerned in the soil that I used. 50/50 mix of shrub and tree soil from Lowe’s and small pine bark nuggets. Does anyone have any feedback? Do you think they will be fine for this spring?
I had to get in on this sellers deal. You can’t beat 20 for $25 and seeing the amount of extras it’s a steal of a deal. If anyone is interested in getting in on this deal here’s the link…. There’s only one left.

Buckofive

Seedling
Reaction score
Yeah he actually ended up sending like 45 trees all said and done when you count the tiny little ones. I ended up planting some of the smaller ones in groups. I was blown away! So I’ve got about 40-45 tridents to play with now. Hope they prosper!

Buckofive

Seedling
Reaction score
I had to get in on this sellers deal. You can’t beat 20 for $25 and seeing the amount of extras it’s a steal of a deal. If anyone is interested in getting in on this deal here’s the link…. There’s only one left.
Glad you posted the link I should have done that too. What an awesome deal!

Top Bottom