Tropical bonsai light / display for winter?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Switching often? Both basement lights and display lights are bright but basement lights are not for viewing so additionally lighting or light reflection is appropriate for the basement but not for a viewing area in your living space. Thus I have lost many bottom branches when displaying in the living space. And yes you understand what I mean by mounting lights horizontally but they could be vertical as well as long as you get light to the bottom branches of the plants. In my grow tent I have overhead lights, and lights in all 4 corners that light up the center of the tent which is mylar lined. I keep my Brazilian raintrees in there for winter.
I am not stating that this is the way you or anyone else should approach lighting, I am doing what is working best for my plants.
Blue blockers are good, I am wearing them now. But there are hydroponic glasses that are better.

If your BRT are losing lower branches, its because the top of the tree is too thick with growth, not because of the lights.
We need to thin BRT on the top so the lower branches dont get shaded. This is true of most if not all trees honestly.

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Switching often? Both basement lights and display lights are bright but basement lights are not for viewing so additionally lighting or light reflection is appropriate for the basement but not for a viewing area in your living space. Thus I have lost many bottom branches when displaying in the living space. And yes you understand what I mean by mounting lights horizontally but they could be vertical as well as long as you get light to the bottom branches of the plants. In my grow tent I have overhead lights, and lights in all 4 corners that light up the center of the tent which is mylar lined. I keep my Brazilian raintrees in there for winter.
I am not stating that this is the way you or anyone else should approach lighting, I am doing what is working best for my plants.
Blue blockers are good, I am wearing them now. But there are hydroponic glasses that are better.
Gotcha, I don't know if I'll have living room lights and a basement setup. Probably just the bay windows upstairs.

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The only way I could see doing something as you describe would be to build a wood display area that has a lip/frame around the edge that hides the light fixture. Either way it will be bright and it should be because you want a high amount of light.

Thanks for the complement on my tree. I have had that tree for 5 years now and is around 23 years old.
I think your right. I could try to build something...

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two Wide LED shop lights 6500k used to hold ficus and succulents. 22000 lumens total and this year it will have mylar on back wall and mylar curtain in front.
IMG_3922.JPG
4 foot 4 bulb T5, 6400k for propagation of cuttings or holding plants.
IMG_3923.JPG
Wire rack x 2 with all racks lighted except bottom. Both LED and T5 depending on need. These will be full of plants soon.
IMG_3925.JPGIMG_3926.JPG

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Three cree LED pendant light to hold houseplants and bonsai that don't require as much intensity.
IMG_3928.JPG
3 600watt LED hydroponic grow lights with mylar on wall and mylar curtain in front. These guys are really bright.
IMG_3924.JPG
My electric bill in winter is higher than summer even though the ac is off and I heat with wood.

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do. LED light strips I attach with zip ties.
Thanks! Any pics or guidance?

I could get a tent for lights in the basement, but for the living room, it would be either bay window, or T5/LED overhead (no reflective materials or lights on the sides of plants). My plants did fine, in terms of their lower limbs in particular, with bay windows, but sunlight is bouncy/ambient, and the overhead artificial light might be more direct...

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would suggest an in person visit to your local Hydroponics Grow Shop. You can walk around and "Kick the Tires" in terms of seeing different grow light set ups. Since a set up in the living area needs to be attractive, you need to see what you are getting into.

For simple, attractive fixtures, I like some of the T-5 fixtures, not the most energy efficient, but T5 have a nice natural white output. My preference is for 48 inch wide fixtures, there is a nice efficiency in light output per watt consumed for T5 at the 48 inch fixture length.

But get a look. Remember, to check the color of any LED you look at. If there are only red and blue LEDs, the color will drive you nuts in the living area. Red & Blue in the basement is fine, just off putting in the living area.

So visit a vendor or two, Kick a few Tires.
We have one about 20-minutes away. I've been there a couple times. Last time I had hydroponic equipment was before LED and Fluorescent were really considered strong enough. Fluorescent was used for tiny plants, but everyone used HPS otherwise - those are too hot and orange! The HLG LEDs are not the blue and red ones:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Any pics or guidance?
Sorry, I don't have any pictures. They are just cheap LED light strips that are connected, so I can zip tie them to the individual shelves. They aren't great, but they are better than nothing. My trees also get natural light from a southern and eastern exposure. I can't have anything super bright, since they are in my kitchen.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even a modicum of natural sunlight makes a world of difference. I just don't have it. The one window I have that gets bright winter sun is right next to my wood stove. Even if I could use it, say for cactus, that window sill belongs to my cat. He is spoiled and does no wrong.

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even a modicum of natural sunlight makes a world of difference. I just don't have it. The one window I have that gets bright winter sun is right next to my wood stove. Even if I could use it, say for cactus, that window sill belongs to my cat. He is spoiled and does no wrong.
The hobby is all about compromise, getting the best result with what you've got. I wish I had a couple greenhouses ;)

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks good! No reflective material?

Hair gel, white teeth and pale skin would be the extent, I suppose...... 😷 :D :D :D :D

I water three-four times a day for roughly six months of the year....I ain't looking to stretch that out any longer than necessary!:cool:

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks like you have lots of great examples here.
I have 6500k t5ho bulbs in 4ft and 2ft hanging lights.
They did ok last year- everything lived.
I may need to turn up the heat down in my basement a little higher this year though.
I will likely upgrade to a second 4ft hanger also.7B4EC0A1-2C43-46FC-B06D-E1632EA70655.jpeg
Of course they are doing much better outside in the sun right now.
8732C540-99E1-4DEB-92BC-8FF3176592BC.jpeg

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like you have lots of great examples here.
I have 6500k t5ho bulbs in 4ft and 2ft hanging lights.
They did ok last year- everything lived.
I may need to turn up the heat down in my basement a little higher this year though.
I will likely upgrade to a second 4ft hanger also.View attachment 325724
Of course they are doing much better outside in the sun right now.
View attachment 325725
Looks good, something like that would work for my basement. Here are some of mine enjoying the rain!

Attachments

• 20200828_184222.jpg
    20200828_184222.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 19

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks good, something like that would work for my basement. Here are some of mine enjoying the rain!
Oh how I wish it would rain here!!

Boscology

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
In zone 4ish here I have to protect a lot of species. I use a 4x4x7 grow tent with a full spectrum LED (1000 watt-150$ on amazon) and that thing is bright, if I would open the tent just a bit with it on my eyes would hurt. I've read the reccomendation is to not look at them without eye protection and from my experience I would definitely rule open-air LEDs in the bay window of your living room for the sake of your long term vision health.

Top Bottom