Trunk chop while still in ground?

I don’t know anything about hornbeams, as I don’t have any in my collection. However, for at least some species, the lower light levels due to the competition of surrounding trees isn’t a problem at all. I have a couple mulberry trees growing right underneath a spruce tree in the back yard. I’ve done trunk chops, air layers, etc. on these mulberries a few times and they spring back into action each time as if nothing happened.

I don’t know anything about hornbeams, as I don’t have any in my collection. However, for at least some species, the lower light levels due to the competition of surrounding trees isn’t a problem at all. I have a couple mulberry trees growing right underneath a spruce tree in the back yard. I’ve done trunk chops, air layers, etc. on these mulberries a few times and they spring back into action each time as if nothing happened.
Your backyard isn't bottomland in the deeper shaded understory woods. Mulberry isn't hornbeam. It's an invasive species.

Here’s 3 of my collection locations, lots and lots of beech to play with
2DDA4736-E47B-463B-B6AB-F617130D6E24.jpegC3CD2B1A-B9CB-415F-9FEB-3F14C0D49FF5.jpegAC37228E-62F0-40C7-A907-0AE5FF32E658.jpeg

And here’s two of the hornbeams I’d like to collect in the spring. They are fused together farther up the trunk but I like the character of the nebari, they are 3+ inches in diameter so pretty good size trunks
6A2E8D4C-AB36-4358-B2AA-19B47EDD48E6.jpeg

I would first check if they have roots! Many young beeches will grow off a single massive root connected to the mother tree many feet away with zero feeder roots. In my mind, there's no way to collect those, unless you ground layer them in the spring - which brings its own issues.
Hornbeams are better. Don't leave the trunks too long, otherwise you may need to rechop in the future.

Perhaps we shouldn't be thinking in terms of "competition".

Perhaps we should be thinking in terms of "cooperation".

If, as selfish humans, we follow backwards world theory, we may find the answer by sticking our heads in the sand.

There, we may find the answer.

That it is not the overground competition we see that keeps these trees from living, but their underground cooperation that keeps this tree suppressed so that others may live.

Trees are not like us.

I'd bet there is no concensus because we don't have all the necessary information to come to one.

Knowing what the surrounding trees are would probably allow this concensus.

Sorce
The network. Interesting. So for instance, if a group/network of trees and plants are like, “whoa. Harry just got chopped and abandoned!” -They may decide to cut off Harry’s rations.
“Sorry buddy, there’s vigorous growing trees to look after here.” “Better luck next time.”

The network. Interesting. So for instance, if a group/network of trees and plants are like, “whoa. Harry just got chopped and abandoned!” -They may decide to cut off Harry’s rations.
“Sorry buddy, there’s vigorous growing trees to look after here.” “Better luck next time.”

Except his name probably wouldn't be Harry!🤣

Not even so much they would cut him off, but he would cut himself off too.

Sorce

Back
Top Bottom