Twin trunk juniper styling questions

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Got this tree from nursery in March 2020, repotted in Nov 2021 and had its first styling shortly after. I just unwired today and looked at the branches planning next work session in few weeks hoping to remove a few of the branches so the tree looks less a bit neater..
Screenshot_20220911_171945.jpgI'll be keeping both trunks and have the apexon the right side and the left side will drop a bit lower than the left as the lt trunk seems stronger than right.
Looking at the main branches I have a big issue with branch choices.
Right side
Screenshot_20220911_172709.jpg
Has a nasty bar branch where the back one basically forms the whole back side of the tree and the front firm's most of the tree. The third branch close to the bar also.makes up the apex.
Screenshot_20220911_172815.jpg
Right trunk splits into 3 branches at same point where one makes up the dropping part at right side, one makes up the front and one makes up the back..

Realise the bar branch has to go and the 3 branches on the right trunk have to go down to 2. Yet afraid this will leave a huge negative space in the tree . So.my questions are :
- Id the bar or the 3 branches split can be hidden by foliage would it be ok to leave them.
- if instead of removing the branches I turn them into dead wood would that be acceptable ? In this case the negative space would be filled by dead branches and it'll look as if a branch died abd another took off opposing to it ?
- if really needed I can just take them out and wait for new branches to grow and use them to fill the negative space with time.
Thanks for any input

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What is the season over in Beirut, Lebanon right now?
How much foliage would removing those branches be percentagewise?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
We're still in late summer, temp is at 23-24 Celsius at night abd 28-32 during the day. Expecting to hit autumn in few weeks but autumn isn't as cold (15-25 Celsius typically)
Winter starts early or mid December where temp can go down to 2 -3 Celsius on few cold storm days (jan-feb) but is typically around 10-20 degrees
The each if the branches is around 10-15 % of total foliage volume except for one of the three branches of the left trunk which is around 20 percent of total foliage. That one I guess I have to keep as its filling up a major part of the tree abd not easy to pull a branch into that position like the other two branches.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally not bad to have some negative space between Left side Right side. Remember things continue growing, filling and needing cut back. Big+to have all natural movement preserved in enviable tree with good start that direction😌 .

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I think one of the problems here is that there's still way too many branches. It is common in early stages of bonsai to want to keep as much as possible for fear of ending up with empty spaces.
Space is good in bonsai. Clear delineation between one branch and the next makes it much easier to look at the trees. I also found that branches grow quick and what initially seems big space soon fills in.

Not sure the 'bar' branch on right is such a big issue. The forward one is really the continuation of the trunk so not really a bar branch. Alignment could be a little better but I guess the front section has been bent down to reduce height.
the rear part of that branch appears important for rear foliage for depth but could be defined into several sections instead of just mass foliage. It might also supply right side foliage and get rid of the smaller right branch.
Explore the possibility of the thicker front branch giving both front and apex to remove the smaller branch which currently supplies apex. front branch usually looks better when shorter if possible so look for options to reduce that some.

left side:
Screenshot 2022-09-12 172924.png
Blue (problem, triple) branch appears to be occupying the same area as pink branch. Explore possible remove blue and use pink to fill the space.
Retain both purple branches - rear and dropping branch. Shorten rear branch if possible and place it to fill a separate space from the side and front branches. Trim and wire dropping branch and blue branch to also occupy separate areas instead of one big mass.

Looks like a good tree. Just needs trimming and define each different branch IMHO.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
I think one of the problems here is that there's still way too many branches. It is common in early stages of bonsai to want to keep as much as possible for fear of ending up with empty spaces.
Space is good in bonsai. Clear delineation between one branch and the next makes it much easier to look at the trees. I also found that branches grow quick and what initially seems big space soon fills in.

Not sure the 'bar' branch on right is such a big issue. The forward one is really the continuation of the trunk so not really a bar branch. Alignment could be a little better but I guess the front section has been bent down to reduce height.
the rear part of that branch appears important for rear foliage for depth but could be defined into several sections instead of just mass foliage. It might also supply right side foliage and get rid of the smaller right branch.
Explore the possibility of the thicker front branch giving both front and apex to remove the smaller branch which currently supplies apex. front branch usually looks better when shorter if possible so look for options to reduce that some.

left side:
View attachment 455408
Blue (problem, triple) branch appears to be occupying the same area as pink branch. Explore possible remove blue and use pink to fill the space.
Retain both purple branches - rear and dropping branch. Shorten rear branch if possible and place it to fill a separate space from the side and front branches. Trim and wire dropping branch and blue branch to also occupy separate areas instead of one big mass.

Looks like a good tree. Just needs trimming and define each different branch IMHO.
Thanks foe the input, yes it's a nice tree and in real life looks nicer than the pics.thanks for all the input, should I prune in autumn or wait till early next spring.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
In our warmer climates I don't see any difference in timing. I trim junipers whenever they need it and I have the time.
Wiring and bending in the growing season can have consequences but not trimming or pruning as far as I can see.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you are going to be removing 50% of the foliage mass with these branches, I would wait until spring to prune.

As I stated in your other thread, juniper store energy in their foliage over the winter. Pruning too much in the fall could effect them negatively.

There is no need to rush it when waiting a few more months will be better

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
With shibui recommendation believe I'd be loosing around 25 percevt if the foliage esoecially if im not removing the brnaches ofthe right trunk ( what i thought was a bar branching) but again no rush whatsoever abd i can definitely wait toll spring. My plan was to repot in spring as the tree needs to be tilted a bit to the front still no harm at all to delay repot till next autumn or spring of the following year ... its one of my best trees if not the best and won't rush at all.

Top Bottom