Twisted little birch

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Collected spring 2021but didn't get any pictures of it last year. I let it grow after collection until I saw a bud swelling halfway down the trunk, risked it all and quickly chopped mid summer. Pinched a bud trying to get some lower branching but only got one. Work with what you got I guess. It was easily twice the height from chop to first branch when collected.

Repotted May 8 2022. I'll probably deal with those funky roots next repot.
20220508_171735.jpg
July 1 2022. Roots coming out the bottom.
20220701_220224.jpg
Got another branch growing well on the left side.
20220701_220140.jpg
Need to deal with last years chop. Hoping I get a third branch to sprout on that bulge next spring.
20220701_220349.jpg
Diaginal cut back to green from leader to left branch and chiseled out a little dead wood. Hope I chiseled enough so I don't get a big bulge. Should start callousing quick with the wound right between the only 2 branches.
20220701_221303.jpg
It's not much but I like it and its growing strong second year after collection.

Last edited:

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice little birch! I like the movement at the base.

Do you know what species of birch it is? I only have one birch - a Japanese white birch - but it is one of my favorite deciduous species!

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice little birch! I like the movement at the base.

Do you know what species of birch it is? I only have one birch - a Japanese white birch - but it is one of my favorite deciduous species!
I can't tell you the species with 100% certainty. We have something like four or five species of birch in my area and I've read they cross pollinate fairly easily. Based on the bark color and leaf shape it could be Betula occidentalis but, depending on where you get your information what gets identified as Betula occidentalis in Alaska could actually be a Betula neoalaskana and Betula glandulosa hybrid.

I like birch too, they are everywhere up here. Walking through a birch forest just feels different. It's hard to explain, the birch don't really grow that close to each other so it feels like an open space but there is like a zebra stripes optical illusion with white stripes and green vegetation. It always seems like something is moving in your peripheral. It makes me hyper aware of my surroundings. IDK maybe I'm just weird.

Since I'm still very inexperienced I've been focusing on Alaskan native species because they are easily obtainable and will survive here. Birch might not be the best to work with but I can fail with very little monetary investment and who knows, I might figure out how to keep them and have fun either way.

Last edited:

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Growing season is basically done now that we're into our rainy August. Trees are now just fattening up and setting buds for next year.

This one grew well this year considering our 4 month growing season. Trunk is at least 1/3 fatter, I got a branch on the left side and it forked close to the trunk so left side isn't bare anymore. About all I did through this growing season was try and keep the apex in check to encourage the lower branches while hoping for more buds to pop lower down the trunk. I'm considering doing a repot next year to deal with those funky roots.
20220815_203645.jpg
Swollen buds
20220815_203708.jpg
Probably can't tell but trunk is getting swole too.
20220815_205931.jpg

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like what you've got going here! View attachment 451866
That's the reason I dug this tree it was easily a 3 foot tall tree when I found it and the first 3 inches made it imo. Long term goal would be to try and chase the foliage down the trunk and get the smallest tree I can. There are at least half a dozen swollen dormant buds further down the trunk but I'm reluctant to chop knowing how unpredictable birch is. If I can get buds where I want them I'll chop back if the timing is right. If not, I'll have to work with what the tree gives me.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You might get some help in spring cutting back to visible buds, waiting and repeating.

Also, I think it is very confining to have only one. Consider getting a bunch more of these so that you can try methods/techniques and timing by doing different things to some than you do to the others and thereby learn what you need to know in a year or two instead of thirty. Then you can get on with creating your masterpiece before you're my age. 👴

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You might get some help in spring cutting back to visible buds, waiting and repeating.

Also, I think it is very confining to have only one. Consider getting a bunch more of these so that you can try methods/techniques and timing by doing different things to some than you do to the others and thereby learn what you need to know in a year or two instead of thirty. Then you can get on with creating your masterpiece before you're my age. 👴
I have a lot of birch. Probably 50+ if I count the flat I'm trying to keep mame size. I jumped head first into the deep end when I started last year. I have a lot of trees. I figured I don't have much guidance up here so having a large collection to experiment on would be the quickest way to learn. I definitely have birch that are practice trees and some that I'm more cautious with.

Top Bottom