Uour "First Tree in 2017" thread

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What are the Larch looking ones in the foreground?

The seedlings at front are Douglas-fir — Pseudotsuga menziesii. These might turn out to have genetic traits that are difficult for bonsai, as they’ve been selected for timber production by the local forestry industry.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'd be wiring every single goddamn seedling to get SOME movement into them early on. There's almost never too movement and almost always not enough :)

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
b-b-but Jerry! My cat needs snuggling and there are things to read on the internet! :cool: (also: I have to go to my day job so I can continue throwing money at my bonsai habit)

I’m intending to do much more of the tree wiring. During these winter months I’m definitely in my own hibernation mode. I swear I’ll get to it :)

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Picked up this jwp on jbp roots. Nice low graft that I hope in time will look like basal flair and not a graft. I removed a couple ranches and applied some light wire to shape.received_1566423006708833.jpeg IMG_20170215_203121.jpgand then there's this table of crabs I started from seed this winter

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My go to guy Scott Lee...his is still wintering material that I asked about. But I picked up a tiny project over on 99 cent auctions last night. Nothing huge...or earth shattering. But with the look of what what I had been looking for actually. But...I'm itching for just new material. But...I have the works on a larch later through @mattspiniken possibly. So...with that in the back of my mind...I'm holding off on jumping in to deep just yet.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I won the eBay auction for this ilex vomitoria a couple days ago and it just shipped, so it looks like it will be my first new tree for the year. Can't really know what the apex or nebari look like from the pics but it was cheap enough for the size of the trunk. Hopefully will be able to find a leader and choose branches, or if not everything will get cut off and I'll try for a better selection. I have another smaller one of these from the same source from last year that I cut back to a stump and it threw branches out all over. From the offering pics it looks like I may want some further
I won the eBay auction for this ilex vomitoria a couple days ago and it just shipped, so it looks like it will be my first new tree for the year. Can't really know what the apex or nebari look like from the pics but it was cheap enough for the size of the trunk. Hopefully will be able to find a leader and choose branches, or if not everything will get cut off and I'll try for a better selection. I have another smaller one of these from the same source from last year that I cut back to a stump and it threw branches out all over. From the offering pics it looks like I may want some further down.

View attachment 131441
This still has approximately forever yet for development of credible branch thicknesses to make a good underlying structure, but with a bit of hedge shearing it is beginning to present a decent profile. Sleep is mostly a fantasy tonight so I’ll share mediocre trees with you instead. The trunk is nice and muscley at least.
EF767BF4-3AA5-4C9F-8EF2-BD7804F49ADD.jpeg

Top Bottom