Using Small flint chippings in the bottom of my Bonsai pots.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well now , I don`t agree with people following old paradigms. when accused of this Newton refused to accept this principle when accused by Davy. I thank god I was taught chemistry by a Fellow of the Royal Society : he taught me how to make bombs out of powdered Mercury and liquid Oxygen. He was an explosives expert in the war.
To be honest , I am so against old ideas, good though they appear to be : there is always room for improval. I am not re-inventing the wheel : I am looking at new ways and ideas. I have been interested in Bonsai since 1972 and have read over 50 books on the subject. I have tried the "approved way", but am not impressed. Fixing mesh beneath the pot has merits, especially if you are interested in Mame or small Shohin, where room for growing medium is at premium. Nobody has mentioned fixing the mesh beneath the pots , so I thought I had better do this.
I helped a Gardening Company many years ago in producing timer watering systems. It was my idea, as I had been using a similar system for many years but using 240 volts encased in resin and washing machine parts..
I have no wish to blow my own trumpet, it is a thing I detest in people ; but trying, always to improve our world. It is my Raison d`etre. I hope you can appreciate my candor in this.
I was trained as a French Chef and then got interested in Sugars and food spoilage, and then other things like, Electricity and of course Nikola Tesla`s inventions, as you do when you drive a car. He invented the generator and alternator among other things ( but he didn`t invent the wheel ) The principal is on some of our £1.00 coins :" standing on the shoulders of giants".
Ok... consider this:

When we show Shohin trees, they are put on stands that elevate them to be at eye level, more or less. Therefore, it IS possible to see the space under the pot. Having screens and wires exposed might be visible.

Even with traditional techniques, there will be some wires visible. I try hard to situate them so that they are minimally exposed.

Top Bottom