Verticillium Dahlia

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've a garden with a fungus in the soil, Verticillium Dahlia, that is, I think. It was diagnosed by other, but never I a laboratory.
Perhaps it cam with the strawberries or the potatoes. Anyway, the maples I had in the ground, in my garden grew well all summer but in autumn shoots and branches would turn black and die. Realising what was wrong, I dug the maples and put them in new soil in pond baskets. The dying of tips of branches, and the losing of bark went on. The only trident I managed to save, is growing at the moment, but edges of new leafs are turning black. Could this still be the Verticillium or is there another reason for this.Foto 12-04-2020 20 17 47.jpg

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I'm not sure about the black edges, and a google search shows more interveianl chlorosis; but scorching is a potential sign as well. One of the best ways to self diagnose verticillium is observation of black streaking in the sapwood.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Wow ! Bad news. :(

The pathogen is said to be dormant for decades before it spreads ou again. I read somewhere that one of the only relatively efficient treatment included Formaldehyde.

I think in the long term, a natural way of cultivating plants is the key because the more chemicals we use, the less the plants can learn to defend themselves.

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm not sure about the black edges, and a google search shows more interveianl chlorosis; but scorching is a potential sign as well. One of the best ways to self diagnose verticillium is observation of black streaking in the sapwood.
The blackening of twigs and branches show especially in the fall.I hoped to hear there''s a less scary reason for the black edges on the leaves of this small maple

Top Bottom