Very Informal Ficus

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a 5 inch tall ficus that I have been playing with. Trying for a balance with one major branch that some say is too long. There's something in there that reminds me of some trees I have seen before in nature, maybe in time I will be able to bring it out.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Perhaps if you brought your secondary branching a bit closer to the trunk on that branch it wouldn;t feel so long.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, different tree. Although the one in this thread is in a smaller version of the same style Tokoname pot. The one you posted is now 9 inches tall and doing well, I showed that one defoliated on this forum about a month ago, the one here has not been defoliated as of yet.

Will

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I didn't think it was because of the trunk angle, but the pot threw me off. For a second there I thought you were going backwards. Unfortunately I can't offer any insight with the unbalance. I think if the apex was centered over the trunk it would help, which means tilting the tree about 10 degrees to the left.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, but is there truly an unbalance? Certainly it is different, but it brings to mind trees from Disney....cartoonish in a way.

Will

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I like it just as it is.
Mom

Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the crown of the tree is away from the base of the trunk, this would be considered a slant style rather than informal upright. One of the reasons the branch looks too long is that it is fighting against the lean of the tree. Here is a more appropriate branching, although my ability to do virtuals is nonexistent.

While I think Nick Lenz' tree tries to do too much (is it a slant? is it root-over-rock? is it exposed root?), it does show a good balance as a slanting style, where the primary branch is on the side of the lean. This type of styling is common among great slant style trees.

Last edited:

Behr

Yamadori
Reaction score
While I think Nick Lenz' tree tries to do too much (is it a slant? is it root-over-rock? is it exposed root?),

Mr. Chris,

With all due respect, this is only true IF one has the need to fit a tree into the 'accepted' forms...

Regards
Behr

:) :) :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Behr, accepted forms are accepted for a reason. I'm not trying to ply artificial "rules" here. I find the tree too busy for my taste. It lacks focus, a point of interest. My point about Will's tree is that it is unbalanced, and I was merely using a well-designed slant tree (if one unfocuses to see the trunk line only) to make that point.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
....this is only true IF one has the need to fit a tree into the 'accepted' forms...

It's a wonder new forms ever come into existence at all. ;) I can only imagine the first time someone tried painting on a piece of birch bark and his peers saying "Ugh, no no, painting go on cave wall, been done like so forever, must be a good reason." Lol.

Seriously, I have toyed around with this little Shohin, trying to imagine it's future, but the truth is I like it as is, well, not quite, maybe after some Nebari work, leaf reduction, and ramification. I can always remove a branch or two in the future, or lower one, or just hack it back, the options are wide open if I can't bring what I see to the surface.

Keep in mind the size of this tree.

Thanks for the kind words.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a wonder new forms ever come into existence at all. ;) I can only imagine the first time someone tried painting on a piece of birch bark and his peers saying "Ugh, no no, painting go on cave wall, been done like so forever, must be a good reason." Lol.

Seriously, I have toyed around with this little Shohin, trying to imagine it's future, but the truth is I like it as is, well, not quite, maybe after some Nebari work, leaf reduction, and ramification. I can always remove a branch or two in the future, or lower one, or just hack it back, the options are wide open if I can't bring what I see to the surface.

Keep in mind the size of this tree.

Thanks for the kind words.

New forms come into being by someone studying and working for years to master what is, then being able to see what might be. Vaughn Banting was no slouch at styling trees and making something of them when he decided he was tired of his bald cypress looking like a young tree shape. So he took all that he knew and his observation of nature and made something new.

One does not make art by buying a watercolor set at the dime store and using a piece of lined notebook paper to play around with. Maybe it's good for the refrigerator, maybe not. But I guarantee, no new style ever was developed without a great deal of thought and skill behind it.

Of the virtuals, I do like the third one. It's a much nicer tree that way and easily achieved with what you have here.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Will,

I like this tree, not in the direction you were taking it. You talked about a disney cartoon character, man I did not have to use drugs LOL to see your vision. Anyaway, can the first virt, simply a waste of tree IMO. The third virt is too full, reduce the canope and it's spead and you will be close. BTW I don't get off on "styles" either, if it looks good eat it, if it taste good ...... if ya can't eat it or ... it, .... on it.

PS: PM me for the details.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm glad you got that one Will. Not to many people know it, bravo!

Allot of folks recommend ficieas an easy tree to look after, but as you and I know nothing can be further from the truth. Heck, even Jerry ficus will admit this. I would rather look after a Serissa vice a Ficus, anyday of the week and tree times on Sunday. They just don't behave/respond like they are supposed to LOL. They send out buds, when and where they feel like it. Sometimes we are fortunate and get a branch where we want it. Unfortunately, in most cases this is either domne by garfting or an approach graft.

You know, we might chuckle, but I feel your pain. I have a couple that need a quick kick and if not I'll ...... on it LOL.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm glad you got that one Will. Not to many people know it, bravo!

Allot of folks recommend ficieas an easy tree to look after, but as you and I know nothing can be further from the truth. Heck, even Jerry ficus will admit this. I would rather look after a Serissa vice a Ficus, anyday of the week and tree times on Sunday. They just don't behave/respond like they are supposed to LOL. They send out buds, when and where they feel like it. Sometimes we are fortunate and get a branch where we want it. Unfortunately, in most cases this is either domne by garfting or an approach graft.

You know, we might chuckle, but I feel your pain. I have a couple that need a quick kick and if not I'll ...... on it LOL.

hmmm...Most species of plant are not very good at pushing buds where we want them. Throw ramifying in there too. If it were easy, everyone would be doin it!

ak

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
... true Al, but those aren't words of wisdom now are they. Ficies are notorious for being fussy!

Zappa

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
... true Al, but those aren't words of wisdom now are they. Ficies are notorious for being fussy!

It seems as though im backwards in all things...I have problems with my maples, wisteria, pines, ect.

But my ficus and fukien tea seem indestructable

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Will,

is this a Ficus 'too little' or 'kiki'?

-dorothy

chappy56

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know that I can explain why, but all trees that slant appeal much more to me when they move left to right. That being said, I like the second photo much better. Aside from that, shortening the branch on the left and moving the tree more to the left when you repot next would balance things more in my mind.
-nice tree.

Top Bottom