Viburnum?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Has anyone worked with a Viburnum as a bonsai?

I saw a very nice candidate in a nursery yesterday. Asking price is $55.

Trunk at the ground level is about 3" across and about 6" up from the soil level it splits into two major branches. The larger one could be removed and the remaining one would accentuate the taper of the trunk. Once the cut back would be made the thing would only be about 12" high but with a very interesting trunk.

Will the leaves miniaturize? It is in a very large plastic nursery tub so I gather it can tolerate living in a container.

Any photos?

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I remember seeing a viburnum on one of the covers of an older Bonsai Today if that tells you anything...

I think your question on whether the leaves reduce depends on the type of viburnum. Having looked at viburnum for my yard, some are more evergreen and others more deciduous in nature. The evergreen types have a more leathery leaf, so I wonder if those would be more difficult to reduce.

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I know a fella who has one. Was just working on it the other day at one of Chase's workshops. Looks similar to privet. You should have no problems with it--looks like a neat tree .

Nunovsky

Seedling
Reaction score
If you look at Wolfgang Putz's site, you'll find a work done with a viburnum tomentosum.
Here's the link: http://www.yamadori-bonsai.info/Putz37.html
I've been working myself with a viburnum tinus and it responds well to the bonsai techniques in terms of reducing the leaf's size.
On the oposite, I'm trying with a viburnum opulus and the results aren't good so far.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nunosvsky, Thank you for the input. That tree on Wolfgang's site is quite beautiful.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mack, I have one (since December) and it responds nicely to leaf plucking. I remove all the larger leaves. It is back budding quite a bit.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you all for the input. I think I may just go pick up that tree and see what happens.

danger6969

Seed
Reaction score
Viburnum

I have just collected a rather large vibrunum from the side of my house that was invading where my cable box, electrical, and irrigation is located I have potted it in a 3 gallon nursery pot after some root reduction and am awaiting new growth to fully develop. I have been trying to upload some photos of it but the site seems to be stuck in "uploading photo" state a d never finishes. As soon as the site lets me I will post photos of my Viburnum that I am patiently awaiting to work on. =) Would like to see yours if you have progressed any!

Has anyone worked with a Viburnum as a bonsai?

I saw a very nice candidate in a nursery yesterday. Asking price is $55.

Trunk at the ground level is about 3" across and about 6" up from the soil level it splits into two major branches. The larger one could be removed and the remaining one would accentuate the taper of the trunk. Once the cut back would be made the thing would only be about 12" high but with a very interesting trunk.

Will the leaves miniaturize? It is in a very large plastic nursery tub so I gather it can tolerate living in a container.

Any photos?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here in FL Viburnum Obavatum is a great species for bonsai.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
V. dentatum is good and should be common in your area.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My Viburnum (2 of them) progressed themselves into the brush pile.

I'll try again another day.

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
I'll bump into this thread instead of open a new one. I was send to buy some flowers in the pot but I streched the term a little bit.
Saw this one Viburnum plicatum ''Watanabe''

009.jpg

and a half hour later

013.jpg

Bonsai to go.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
V. dentatum is good and should be common in your area.
I picked up two of these this fall. About the only thing left at my friends nursery I didn't already have. Liked the small leaves and purple berries. Waiting on spring to do anything w/them.

Top Bottom