Watering Frequency

Reaction score
How often should I water my Juniper? I was reading somewhere that it's ok to water them daily, but I worry that's too much.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it dries out that fast it's ok.

What type of soil?

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When the soil is almost dry.
Not before and not too long after (ie too dry).
Junipers dont like wet feet.

Dont get trapped into thinking that trees need to be watered at a rigid time interval. The time between needed water can vary with seasons and weather. So learn to check them every day and water only when needed.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Paradox's response if a good one. Just remember, ALL junipers will prefer to live in drier soil than in moist soil. That said, even desert juniper species need water -- especially when they are in a pot.

Here's a good way to determine when to water. Keep a stub of a chopstick or a wooden pencil jammed into the soil. remove the stick daily and feel the dirty end. If there is ANY moisture on the stick, do NOT water. If it feels dry, water. It is best to water from the top with a watering can. Water until it runs out throught the drainage hole in the pot's bottom. Let it drain. Water again.

Then start checking the stick dail again. For best results keep the stick jammed into the soil; poking it into the soil gives poor results.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paradox's response if a good one. Just remember, ALL junipers will prefer to live in drier soil than in moist soil. That said, even desert juniper species need water -- especially when they are in a pot.

Here's a good way to determine when to water. Keep a stub of a chopstick or a wooden pencil jammed into the soil. remove the stick daily and feel the dirty end. If there is ANY moisture on the stick, do NOT water. If it feels dry, water. It is best to water from the top with a watering can. Water until it runs out throught the drainage hole in the pot's bottom. Let it drain. Water again.

Then start checking the stick dail again. For best results keep the stick jammed into the soil; poking it into the soil gives poor results.
The old stick in a pot trick eh?

Top Bottom