Waxleaf Privet/Ligustrum Japonicum - Root Bound and Growth Rate

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Per the article below article, can anyone confirm the waxleaf privet stops growing if root bound? I’m figuring out the species. I did some pruning and defoliation to reduce leaf size experimentally as the new growth started to push. The tree container is stuffed with roots.
They are bullet proof in southern CA. Just inquiring if I should immediately work the roots and open them up with a repot to aid recovery. Let it recover first or…..?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Most trees growth slows when they are root bound as lots of roots limits water and nutrients.
Ligustrum appear to have very vigorous roots so I root prune mine every year or 2 to make room for more growth.
They are indeed bullet proof so I see no problem repotting with a severe root reduction. In your area it should be a good time to do so but these are so hardy it does not appear to matter when they are repotted.

Where roots are causing the problem it makes sense to repot to solve the problem. No sense leaving a tree with compromised roots to recover - most likely won't until the problem is solved -repot.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
So a little over a week….no issues with root mass and back budding. Good stuff. Im going to let it fully recover and then root prune and repot.
14E89E68-B0E9-48AF-8590-F6343A1872B9.jpegA3DDD460-2314-47A4-BCBE-5131B2CE49CB.jpegBC61693A-1A65-4A69-87A2-7A5B352AE50C.jpeg

Top Bottom