Weird husk thing attached to one of my Brazilian Rain Tree's branches, any ideas what it is?

tinyzigzag

Seedling
Reaction score
It's oval shaped, one side rounds off and is closed while the other side has an opening. I assume some insect or something made it? Does anyone recognize it? It was attached pretty securely but I managed to remove it without harming the branch.
weirdHusk1.JPGweirdHusk3.JPG

tinyzigzag

Seedling
Reaction score
It's a preying mantis cocoon. Good for you.
That would be cool! It's small though, about the size of my thumbnail. Could it still be a praying mantis cocoon if it's so small? Or is there another critter's egg sac that looks similar?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That would be cool! It's small though, about the size of my thumbnail. Could it still be a praying mantis cocoon if it's so small? Or is there another critter's egg sac that looks similar?
Praying Mantis first come out of the cocoon in a nymph stage and undergo several molts before they're full sized.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Is that cocoon open at one end?
Mantis egg down here have a number of eggs that hatch through small individual holes.

With a single large hole at one end more likely to be cocoon of some sort of moth or butterfly? but not one I am familiar with.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that cocoon open at one end?
Mantis egg down here have a number of eggs that hatch through small individual holes.

With a single large hole at one end more likely to be cocoon of some sort of moth or butterfly? but not one I am familiar with.

That was my thought too. Mantis egg sacks always look like someone spit a big snot-ball and it dried up to me. They are actually kind of delicate. Lots of air spaces inside for insulation.

That looks more like a wasp to me...though I don't usually see them on branches.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That was my thought too. Mantis egg sacks always look like someone spit a big snot-ball and it dried up to me. They are actually kind of delicate. Lots of air spaces inside for insulation.

That looks more like a wasp to me...though I don't usually see them on branches.

Mud daubers are my pals (They will "work" right next to me, hundreds of them, we co-exist well) ... The ones here, nest in the ground or holes in the walls... They don't steal too many leaves.. and only the females take leaves and the men take balls of "dirt", I believe.

I've not seen an external.caccoon for them.. but know they exist.

But I HAVE seen similar objects around mantis heavy prairie areas...

I thought mantis at first, but could DEFINITELY be a cutter/digger wasp.

🤓

Top Bottom