WHAT ABOUT VERMICULITE AND PERLITE FOR SOILS

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh yeah, if I lived on the west coast it would be pumice over the others 100% of the time.

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Perlite seems to work just fine in mixes but as people point out it is very light and tends to float. I have little experience with vermiculite but the few times I experimented with it it seemed to retain too much water for my taste.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use perlite in most of my mixes and my plants like it alright.

MIght work fine for you being that you are in Brazil where it is hot and you have a lot of tropical trees that like moisture. It will not be a good soil component for pines that like to be on the dry side

As with so many things in bonsai, it depends. In this case. location, climate and types of tree will be all factors.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
"I have used shifted perlite (<1/16th and >1/4” out, along with SeaSoil and Pumice) in the lower layers..."Could you explain this please? also, what is "sea soil"? Thanks!
Which part lol........I use sifted perlite....getting rid of pieces over 1/4” and less than 1/16”. SeaSoil is a local product that is a mixture of decomposed conifer bark and decomposed fishfarm waste. Generally in the lower layers of a pot I put more perlite than the SeaSoil and Pumice depending on species, in the upper layers I do not use perlite only the Pumice, SeaSoil and red/ black lava if I have any. As we know the colour of Pumice is “whiteish” but it doesn’t bother me.....but it does look too bright in photos.
Cheers

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No asbestos, but the dust will still shred your lungs! I usually hose it down to help wash the dust and fines out.
Not trying to hijack the thread . Or say that asbestos is safe . But most things that are used to replace asbestos . Are worse for your health . Just not officially recognized as such . The old adage be carefull
What you wish for . And we demanded that asbestos not be used anymore .

Grunge_Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
I am bumping this to say I thought it would be a good idea to sift a bunch of perlite the other night. I have pretty bad asthma, so I used an N95 mask when sifting.

Even with the mask, I breathed a good amount of fine dust particles in. It irritated me quite a bit that night, but the real trouble was when I woke up the next morning. I was coughing so bad I had to take a half day out of work.

I was so scared, Googling silicosis (you might want to, as well). I seem to have recovered now a week later, but I may be lucky. May have lung damage, it’s kind of hard to gauge it.

Always, ALWAYS work with this stuff wet, if at all.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am bumping this to say I thought it would be a good idea to sift a bunch of perlite the other night. I have pretty bad asthma, so I used an N95 mask when sifting.

Even with the mask, I breathed a good amount of fine dust particles in. It irritated me quite a bit that night, but the real trouble was when I woke up the next morning. I was coughing so bad I had to take a half day out of work.

I was so scared, Googling silicosis (you might want to, as well). I seem to have recovered now a week later, but I may be lucky. May have lung damage, it’s kind of hard to gauge it.

Always, ALWAYS work with this stuff wet, if at all.

I just tie a long sleeve shirt tight right below my eyes and it has worked fine. I usually have it a few layers thick.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Adding perlite to a good potting soil or compost for growing plants, not bonsai, if almost always a good idea. It just improves aeration and drainage.
Vermiculite is more water retentive and maybe better for raising seeds.
Perlite is indeed very light. Pots are easily blown over with just soil and perlite. But if you were to use say lava substrate, they would be much much more heavier. But perlite is superior in improving aeration and drainage.

Top Bottom