What bonsai should I start now as a beginner and be a amazing bonsai later ?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol I don’t expect to make bonsai just like that anytime soon

What he meant was 3 of the 4 pictures you posted were some type of juniper (at least it looks like they all are) so if you like those, you might like having one to start with.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
What he meant was 3 of the 4 pictures you posted were some type of juniper (at least it looks like they all are) so if you like those, you might like having one to start with.
Oh I thought he meant that I thought I was gonna make something amazing on my first try’s but I know it will take years

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Oh I thought he meant that I thought I was gonna make something amazing on my first try’s but I know it will take years
Just take your time and have fun and learn....the biggest advantage you have over most of us is time and that's the one thing we can't get back nor buy.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Learn the basic skills: repotting, wiring, unwiring. You would be surprised how few people can really wire well! And it’s absolutely an essential skill to have. And, do it right, learn how to use copper wire for conifers.

I suggest you rent Boon’s videos from his web site: www.bonsaiboon.com. You can stream his instructional videos very economically.

Concentrate on the classic varieties at first: Japanese Black Pine, Trident Maple, Japanese Maple, and Shimpaku juniper. Master those first before learning more exotic species. The skills you learn for those can be transferred to almost all the other species! It’s funny how many times Boon has said to me “It’s just like Black Pine”! Lol!!! The principles are the same for all trees.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I’d plant trident maple, crab apple and dawn redwood. They grow like absolute weeds. More importantly they can be chopped/severely pruned and will bud back. Everyone wishes they’d started JWP or shimpaku cuttings in year one, but as a beginner you need to have a well thought out plan to keep the foliage from escaping the trunk or you’ll be left with useless material in a few years. Since they won’t sprout when cut back past a bud. Just my take on it. I’m a few years in and still not 100% certain how one grows out a show quality juniper or larch.
I Pretty much gave up on all single flush pines except Scots lol

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I’m a year ish into bonsai and I was wondering if I should start a kind of bonsai that will be an amazing peace of bonsai down the road that will be crazy awesome! Please give me any suggestions!
I’m a year ish into bonsai , I have a good amount of pre bonsai and some bonsai . Some will remain just in ground yet , trained, some in nursery with bonsai soil , and some in bonsai pots with bonsai soil. Avoid any shitty grafts from nursery stock and avoid anything growing in straight up clay. I’ve killed 3 trees since early summer. Finding good wiring and supplies is key. I recommend Bonsai Tonight, Black River Bonsai and Superfly Bonsai. Watch , read , just practice and you’ll learn. Find local Bonsai pro’s, material on eBay ( do not use USPS right now ) , join a club ( Post covid unfortunately) , online courses and just have fun! You’ll find what you like and don’t like. I recommend all double flush pines ( jrp, jbp, pitch) , scots , Virginia pine , junipers, spruce , firs , maples and native grown deciduous. Enjoy! I hope you find success and enjoyment.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I’m a year ish into bonsai , I have a good amount of pre bonsai and some bonsai . Some will remain just in ground yet , trained, some in nursery with bonsai soil , and some in bonsai pots with bonsai soil. Avoid any shitty grafts from nursery stock and avoid anything growing in straight up clay. I’ve killed 3 trees since early summer. Finding good wiring and supplies is key. I recommend Bonsai Tonight, Black River Bonsai and Superfly Bonsai. Watch , read , just practice and you’ll learn. Find local Bonsai pro’s, material on eBay ( do not use USPS right now ) , join a club ( Post covid unfortunately) , online courses and just have fun! You’ll find what you like and don’t like. I recommend all double flush pines ( jrp, jbp, pitch) , scots , Virginia pine , junipers, spruce , firs , maples and native grown deciduous. Enjoy! I hope you find success and enjoyment.
Thanks so much almost all trees you listed are near me ! Also why can’t I use Usps right now ?

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks so much almost all trees you listed are near me ! Also why can’t I use Usps right now ?
Understaffed and longer delivery due to covid , it may be inevitable, but other shipping companies might be faster, jsut get permission first! You have a good head start I’m 29, I wish I discovered Bonsai at your age! Good luck kiddo

LooselyWired

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Congratulations for discovering your love of bonsai at 13. It took me half a century! Oh, the trees I could have by now, huh? You have a very good eye with those San Diego bonsai. See if you can get a few 18” shimpaku whips to wire in the spring & leave them outdoors. For a good winter project order some trident maple seeds, follow the directions, and see if you can get some seedlings ready to plant outside in the spring.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If dad is interested should get you both subscription to Mirai Live and study beginner videos as well as fabulous more advanced techniques and trees. Hard to beat. Education/training most valuable skill was not available in 1959 when my beginnings were.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Congratulations for discovering your love of bonsai at 13. It took me half a century! Oh, the trees I could have by now, huh? You have a very good eye with those San Diego bonsai. See if you can get a few 18” shimpaku whips to wire in the spring & leave them outdoors. For a good winter project order some trident maple seeds, follow the directions, and see if you can get some seedlings ready to plant outside in the spring.
Thanks 🙏

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When it comes to growing out, some trees need more attention than others.

On one end you have elms, which you can chop back down to nothing and they will regrow.

On the other end you have pines, which can be destroyed after one year left to its own devices.

There is everything between.

Start by planting alternate growing trees that can be hacked to no green and still live. These can be left for 20 years and still be valuable.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Best advice from Adair M and others, education. The videos from Bjorn Bjornholm, Ryan Neil (Mirai Live) are excellent. The videos from Boon are excellent. The blog from Jonas Dupuich - Bonsai Tonight and the blog from Michael Hagedorn, Crataegus are excellent. Any videos & Blog by Todd Schlafer is good. Virtually all the others have the danger they will teach you bad habits. Especially avoid Peter Chan - Herons Bonsai, some people like him, but you will learn flawed techniques. Similar with Nigel Sanders, he is the "Mr Rogers" of bonsai, goofy or and or soothing to watch, but again, you will learn flawed technique. If you watch either of them, be aware and look for where the problems are.

Actually, keep in mind, all teachers have their weaknesses Some have more, some have fewer, none are perfect. Definitely look up Boon, I don't have a link handy.

Ryan Neil - https://www.youtube.com/user/BonsaiMirai/videos &

Bjorn - https://www.youtube.com/c/EiseienBonsai/videos
especially cool is the "Bonsai Art of Japan" 42 episode Series from Bjorn's apprenticeship in Japan - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6Be1yc3twL5sOrBpg5UqmJOCnOo4FWvT

John Geanangel is good https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnGeanangel/videos

Graham Potter is good - https://www.youtube.com/user/GrahamWPotter/videos

Bonsai Empire is uneven, some of their videos are great, some you could pick up bad habits from.

I know I will get flamed for naming 2 whom I consider inferior teachers. I can take it.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Best advice from Adair M and others, education. The videos from Bjorn Bjornholm, Ryan Neil (Mirai Live) are excellent. The videos from Boon are excellent. The blog from Jonas Dupuich - Bonsai Tonight and the blog from Michael Hagedorn, Crataegus are excellent. Any videos & Blog by Todd Schlafer is good. Virtually all the others have the danger they will teach you bad habits. Especially avoid Peter Chan - Herons Bonsai, some people like him, but you will learn flawed techniques. Similar with Nigel Sanders, he is the "Mr Rogers" of bonsai, goofy or and or soothing to watch, but again, you will learn flawed technique. If you watch either of them, be aware and look for where the problems are.

Actually, keep in mind, all teachers have their weaknesses Some have more, some have fewer, none are perfect. Definitely look up Boon, I don't have a link handy.

Ryan Neil - https://www.youtube.com/user/BonsaiMirai/videos &

Bjorn - https://www.youtube.com/c/EiseienBonsai/videos
especially cool is the "Bonsai Art of Japan" 42 episode Series from Bjorn's apprenticeship in Japan - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6Be1yc3twL5sOrBpg5UqmJOCnOo4FWvT

John Geanangel is good https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnGeanangel/videos

Graham Potter is good - https://www.youtube.com/user/GrahamWPotter/videos

Bonsai Empire is uneven, some of their videos are great, some you could pick up bad habits from.

I know I will get flamed for naming 2 whom I consider inferior teachers. I can take it.
This so much... I changed my views on Bjorn .. I always liked Ryan Neil , and Mauro .. very informative. Chan is great he has a lot of material on his nursery. But the way he wires and his positioning seems far removed from what his Wisely or master class book bonsai show.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This so much... I changed my views on Bjorn .. I always liked Ryan Neil , and Mauro .. very informative. Chan is great he has a lot of material on his nursery. But the way he wires and his positioning seems far removed from what his Wisely or master class book bonsai show.
Oh and Jonas Dupuich blog I go on every day , he directly gives advice too on his forum so it’s awesome to get interface with a professional at his level.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Education is great but one learns by doing, not just reading. You have to read, join classes, watch videos, or whatever you'd like, but then you have to actually DO IT. I started a little older than you, just a few years, and what held me back was partially a lack of education, but mostly just the experience of actually doing the thing. Buy lots of nursery trees and practice styling and wiring, and you will gradually get good at it. Seeds are fun but it takes experience to turn a seedling into a great bonsai.

On the other hand, if you have a place to put them in the ground, you may as well start now. There are mistakes that everyone makes and part of the bonsai journey I think is just to make them all!

Another way to gain practical experience is to have trees at all levels of achievement, from seedlings all the way to show trees. Jonas Dupuich recommends something like this in his collection recommendations.

One of the best things I did was to join a club, it really expands your resource base on every front, and meeting like minded people is a bonus.

As far as good seeds go, don't just limit yourself to seeds. Get seedlings from Evergreen Gardenworks or Bill Valavanis (there are others near you too I think) and plant them to avoid the pains of early propagation. You can always try your hand at cuttings or layering too.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look up Harry Harrington too. His website Bonsai4me.com and his YouTube channel are very informative and inspirational.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Education is great but one learns by doing, not just reading. You have to read, join classes, watch videos, or whatever you'd like, but then you have to actually DO IT. I started a little older than you, just a few years, and what held me back was partially a lack of education, but mostly just the experience of actually doing the thing. Buy lots of nursery trees and practice styling and wiring, and you will gradually get good at it. Seeds are fun but it takes experience to turn a seedling into a great bonsai.

On the other hand, if you have a place to put them in the ground, you may as well start now. There are mistakes that everyone makes and part of the bonsai journey I think is just to make them all!

Another way to gain practical experience is to have trees at all levels of achievement, from seedlings all the way to show trees. Jonas Dupuich recommends something like this in his collection recommendations.

One of the best things I did was to join a club, it really expands your resource base on every front, and meeting like minded people is a bonus.

As far as good seeds go, don't just limit yourself to seeds. Get seedlings from Evergreen Gardenworks or Bill Valavanis (there are others near you too I think) and plant them to avoid the pains of early propagation. You can always try your hand at cuttings or layering too.
Yes, I agree that “doing bonsai” is essential in leaning how to bonsai. But there’s no need to have to reinvent the wheel. Getting a basic education on proper technique can make one’s learning curve much shorter.

Unfortunately, the old saw of “practice, practice, practice” is only partially true. It takes “perfect practice, perfect practice, perfect practice” to achieve perfection. Practicing flawed techniques will only cement those into your muscle memory and thinking. Learning proper methods early on will greatly improve the student’s learning curve.

Using Bjorn as an example, yes, he’s very talented. But he got a great start by being taught proper technique at a very early age by his Dad, Tom.

Top Bottom