What can cause the difference in response?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Two bald cypress of nearly the same size, health, and growing conditions. They both received the same drastic treatment within days of one another. The second one perhaps even more severe yet it exploded with growth while the first one is sulking.
Sulking 1
IMG_8428.jpeg

Growing 2
IMG_8429.jpeg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
No tree is ever alike. Even when taking cuttings, they sometimes behave totally different; one might have a long root that shot down and provides it with whatever it needs, while the other might take a year extra to gain some ground.
I've even reported spontaneous ploidy changes, in which plants - more or less - spontaneously doubled, or quadripled their chromosome sets. Even though they were specifically bred to be diploid.

In essence it boils down to "it could be a bunch of things". You might have hit a critical vein, one might have a better root system, or maybe one has a faster (or delayed!) damage response.

I'm willing to bet that even Pando has genetic variance if you compare samples from different outer edges of the organism. With two trees from different seeds, the difference can be huge. And so will their response to damage.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
No tree is ever alike. Even when taking cuttings, they sometimes behave totally different; one might have a long root that shot down and provides it with whatever it needs, while the other might take a year extra to gain some ground.
I've even reported spontaneous ploidy changes, in which plants - more or less - spontaneously doubled, or quadripled their chromosome sets. Even though they were specifically bred to be diploid.

In essence it boils down to "it could be a bunch of things". You might have hit a critical vein, one might have a better root system, or maybe one has a faster (or delayed!) damage response.

I'm willing to bet that even Pando has genetic variance if you compare samples from different outer edges of the organism. With two trees from different seeds, the difference can be huge. And so will their response to damage.
The Water Boy sez: “Dat one is more ornery.”

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it looks like one you left new wood, and the other had not so much, almost forcing the growth on old bark instead

Top Bottom