What cases / when is it right, aesthetically-speaking, to ignore the rule of "angle the tree toward the viewer"?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There's a lot to deal with here. Let's start with the fact that anyone who has the temerity to question you, the Master Of All Art, is isolated and doesn't go to shows. You assume. Or, maybe we're just stupid and uneducated, or both! Or, all three. A really short sighted insult to the rest of the world. I don't understand why your words don't come through printed in red on my screen. You've explained your position quiet a few times now with pictures of Pines and still haven't addressed the question first asked, "Blah, blah, rule or guideline?

At the risk of giving you a stroke, Pines, -lovely as they are, are not the only trees in the world. If fact, you may have surmised that some of us have very few Pines. I think what was wanted by the originator of this thread was an in-depth discussion of how to deal with trees that refused to fit the mould, or were of a design that begged to break the rules, for example, Literati-like irregular, but full, deciduous trees (not two-dimensional Pines). They abound. And, artsy-types are drawn to interesting forms and textures and break-the-mould challenging shapes they can call their own. There are also trees with real leaves that are of more ordinary composition that are not picture-perfect. In fact, I remember a judge (of course the only real judge I ever saw up here in back-woods Detroit) gig a perfect Boxwood because he, "...never saw a tree with a perfect dome like that in nature." Some of us morons think we can create an appealing form in many different shapes and sizes and trees, -not Pines. I may puke on the next Pine I see.

I shouldn't say that, I love Pines, too. But I don't love people who find it necessary to insult people as way to convince them of something. I can't remember when that ever worked. Can you? Am I convincing you now? I do remember someone once saying under his breath, right after he had been up-braided by a third party who had just walked away, "You have silenced me, but you have not convinced me."

I think it very interesting that you find it necessary to shut people up on a forum. Study those words. They are mixed-metaphors when used in the same sentence.

I've been in bonsai for 20 years, and have only taken photos of the sides of trees once, for purposes different than here. It hadn't occurred to me to do so. You have quiet an arsenal. Should I wonder how many times you've stumbled upon fools like me and the others, here? You must teach the art! Do you carry a whip?

I haven't asked why the trees in your examples, or shows the world over, etc., lean forward, so your really complete answer to your own miss-stated question must have been sparked by miss-reading my saying more than once your example trees were very nice looking, so I'll say it again.

I also never said or indicated anything like, "You haven’t supported your position with trees that lean backwards with anything other than words." (I'm not even sure I know what that means).

I don't think us dummies ever got to the point of showing trees to be considered, maybe because we got hog-tied into thinking that only Pines were considered trees. Given the number of different views apparently necessary for consideration, I don't think I'd be able produce any until the snow is replaced by suitable weather. So, there. You've shut me up.
I offered as examples my own work. Yes, I primarily work with pines, so naturally I would have pictures of pines. I dont regularly photograph all 4 sides of my trees, usually just the front. And finally, I spent quite a bit of time searching through my archives to find those pictures, thinking that I could actually help you understand why the the forward lean thing works.

When I first started posting here, I used to not post pictures much. My posts were not very well received. Then, I found that when I posted pictures of my own work on my trees, the community began to see that I wasn’t just making hypothetical arguments. I guess what it all boils down to is:

Show us your trees!

Lol!!!

@Forsoothe!, you’re not the first to be irritated by my posting style. I don’t mean to offend. But, I do “call ‘em as I see ‘em”. You say you’ve been doing bonsai 20 years. That’s good! I’ve been doing bonsai over 45 years. And I’m still learning. Just last week, I learned a new trick on how to control internode length on pines. A subject I would have thought I knew everything there is to know. But, no, there’s always more to learn.

Yes, I am aware there are more species than just pines. How about a broadleaf?

70582851-CCC8-4A13-A48A-E94A18BDF5D6.jpeg

Does that count? And, yes, the apex comes forward on it, too!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't understand where anyone is insulting you or calling you a dummy except yourself. One thing I can assume though; you have probably been doing bonsai for about ten years and have gotten to a point where you are starting to assume your own ideas and make enemies with those who are trying to teach you otherwise. One of two things will happen; you will finally understand that what you were hearing was correct or you will actually reinvent the wheel.

As far as Adair is concerned; he knows a lot and is really willing to share but sometimes his enthusiasm and assurance comes off as beating you over the head. Years ago Adair called me to task about my wiring, which was really bad. Thinking that I knew everything because I had been doing bonsai for so many years I was not happy. Finally I took the effort to learn what I was missing and apply it to my work which improved 1000 times over. I will always be thankful to Adair for doing what he did, he is a guy you should listen to.
Vance, I was at Boon’s last week, and he asked about you, and hoped you were doing well. I can’t imagine how cold it must have been at your place this past week. I hope your collection isn’t affected. I’m sure you’re looking forward to spring!

Bonsai on!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance, I was at Boon’s last week, and he asked about you, and hoped you were doing well. I can’t imagine how cold it must have been at your place this past week. I hope your collection isn’t affected. I’m sure you’re looking forward to spring!

Bonsai on!
I am surprised that Boon is asking about me, I thought he disliked me immensely gaged on the response from some of his students. That is really encouraging. I tryed to subscribe to his face book page and participate in a discussion and I quickly found out just how unwelcome my participation was. Anyway I'm doing fine and I am glad the fires did not take him out. My trees so far seem to be doing fine, it hasn't been this cold in 25 years and I think I had it headed off by piling snow on them.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There's a lot to deal with here. Let's start with the fact that anyone who has the temerity to question you, the Master Of All Art, is isolated and doesn't go to shows. You assume. Or, maybe we're just stupid and uneducated, or both! Or, all three. A really short sighted insult to the rest of the world. I don't understand why your words don't come through printed in red on my screen. You've explained your position quiet a few times now with pictures of Pines and still haven't addressed the question first asked, "Blah, blah, rule or guideline?

At the risk of giving you a stroke, Pines, -lovely as they are, are not the only trees in the world. If fact, you may have surmised that some of us have very few Pines. I think what was wanted by the originator of this thread was an in-depth discussion of how to deal with trees that refused to fit the mould, or were of a design that begged to break the rules, for example, Literati-like irregular, but full, deciduous trees (not two-dimensional Pines). They abound. And, artsy-types are drawn to interesting forms and textures and break-the-mould challenging shapes they can call their own. There are also trees with real leaves that are of more ordinary composition that are not picture-perfect. In fact, I remember a judge (of course the only real judge I ever saw up here in back-woods Detroit) gig a perfect Boxwood because he, "...never saw a tree with a perfect dome like that in nature." Some of us morons think we can create an appealing form in many different shapes and sizes and trees, -not Pines. I may puke on the next Pine I see.

I shouldn't say that, I love Pines, too. But I don't love people who find it necessary to insult people as way to convince them of something. I can't remember when that ever worked. Can you? Am I convincing you now? I do remember someone once saying under his breath, right after he had been up-braided by a third party who had just walked away, "You have silenced me, but you have not convinced me."

I think it very interesting that you find it necessary to shut people up on a forum. Study those words. They are mixed-metaphors when used in the same sentence.

I've been in bonsai for 20 years, and have only taken photos of the sides of trees once, for purposes different than here. It hadn't occurred to me to do so. You have quiet an arsenal. Should I wonder how many times you've stumbled upon fools like me and the others, here? You must teach the art! Do you carry a whip?

I haven't asked why the trees in your examples, or shows the world over, etc., lean forward, so your really complete answer to your own miss-stated question must have been sparked by miss-reading my saying more than once your example trees were very nice looking, so I'll say it again.

I also never said or indicated anything like, "You haven’t supported your position with trees that lean backwards with anything other than words." (I'm not even sure I know what that means).

I don't think us dummies ever got to the point of showing trees to be considered, maybe because we got hog-tied into thinking that only Pines were considered trees. Given the number of different views apparently necessary for consideration, I don't think I'd be able produce any until the snow is replaced by suitable weather. So, there. You've shut me up.
Honestly...20 years. Congrats. Why not take a few shots of your trees from different angles. And share...so we can grasp your vision of what your trying to tell us.

Patiently waiting...

I do recall a show where ones shared photos of yamadori pine...and the tree was showing its back to show its movement of trunk. I guess that's what I am envisioning...when a tree doesn't lean forward to some degree. Even if it's leaning forward and over my shoulder a bit. It moves still forward.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am surprised that Boon is asking about me, I thought he disliked me immensely gaged on the response from some of his students. That is really encouraging. I tryed to subscribe to his face book page and participate in a discussion and I quickly found out just how unwelcome my participation was. Anyway I'm doing fine and I am glad the fires did not take him out. My trees so far seem to be doing fine, it hasn't been this cold in 25 years and I think I had it headed off by piling snow on them.
Actually, Boon is a pretty likable guy, once you get to know him. He noticed I helped you out at the Nationals, and he has asked me several times about you since.

I told him that you and and I had had our battles in the past, but we had buried the hatchet.

He generally likes anyone who is passionate about bonsai, and is willing to learn.

Reaction score
Personal opinion: The Forward-lean rule is one of the few rules that almost always works out really well. Both in shows and on my own trees most of the time there is a forward lean, it is an easy and convenient way to make them look better. It is "right" to not accentuate the forward lean when speaking about brooms in my opinion. Every now and then i see trees without a forward lean and i'm always tempted to look at the back-side (sorry, i know its impolite). Everybody is free to style trees as they wish.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Personal opinion: The Forward-lean rule is one of the few rules that almost always works out really well. Both in shows and on my own trees most of the time there is a forward lean, it is an easy and convenient way to make them look better. It is "right" to not accentuate the forward lean when speaking about brooms in my opinion. Every now and then i see trees without a forward lean and i'm always tempted to look at the back-side (sorry, i know its impolite). Everybody is free to style trees as they wish.
This is not so much a rule in bonsai as it is a rule in art and architecture. Do a bit of reading about the Parthenon in Greece. The pillars lean away from plumb because if they did not they would look weird.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree, if it works no one except the most anal will realize you have broken one of the fundamental guidelines unless the lean in the opposite direction is so extreme as to be unavoidably obtuse. In that case it will be obvious to everyone anyway.
This is basically the conclusion I've come to. On at least some of the trees I'm working on, I'm going to avoid building in the standard "apex leans forward" and will instead have the apex up over the tree, as
it would occur in nature. I have a couple that will probably have the apex lean back a bit as well.

One of the problems with the pronounced forward lean (in Adair's first example especially) is that once a tree has that kind of structure, it's pretty much impossible to change the front without
rebuilding the whole tree. What if I decide at some point the back is a better viewing position...or a major branch dies off and the whole tree has to be redesigned. You're kind of locked in.

I also don't like the way these trees look from the side. If you walk around an exhibition, you usually see the trees from the side before you get to the front. Some of them look, well, ridiculous from
anything but a narrow "front" view. Before anyone gets on my case, I know they were designed that way and that's fine. But I'd rather have trees that look more like...trees...from other angles instead
of just from a narrow pre-defined location. Maybe that means what I'm doing isn't "bonsai" to some, but I can live with that.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Th

That's a tad dramatic, dont you think? Nobody is insulting anyone, but playing victim is usually the last attempt to save face when you have no more arguments. Look at our president for a good example of that behavior.
And we still haven't seen your trees! ?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Th

That's a tad dramatic, dont you think? Nobody is insulting anyone, but playing victim is usually the last attempt to save face when you have no more arguments. Look at our president for a good example of that behavior.
And we still haven't seen your trees! ?
Leave the President out of this discussion about bonsai.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is basically the conclusion I've come to. On at least some of the trees I'm working on, I'm going to avoid building in the standard "apex leans forward" and will instead have the apex up over the tree, as
it would occur in nature. I have a couple that will probably have the apex lean back a bit as well.

One of the problems with the pronounced forward lean (in Adair's first example especially) is that once a tree has that kind of structure, it's pretty much impossible to change the front without
rebuilding the whole tree. What if I decide at some point the back is a better viewing position...or a major branch dies off and the whole tree has to be redesigned. You're kind of locked in.

I also don't like the way these trees look from the side. If you walk around an exhibition, you usually see the trees from the side before you get to the front. Some of them look, well, ridiculous from
anything but a narrow "front" view. Before anyone gets on my case, I know they were designed that way and that's fine. But I'd rather have trees that look more like...trees...from other angles instead
of just from a narrow pre-defined location. Maybe that means what I'm doing isn't "bonsai" to some, but I can live with that.
Ok, you may have a point about redesigning...

However...

This tree:

22FBDC77-5E64-4983-ACEC-A4DE9ED7C258.jpeg

Is a complete redesign. What is now the left side used to be the front. The lowest left branch needs to grow out significantly longer. It will take several years. The upper right of the apex needs to fill in.

This next picture shows Daisaku Nomoto contemplating the old design.

61EE2A13-6745-4782-924E-4F5CADDADB2A.jpeg

He removed the lowest left branch. And changed the front.

Here it is after the restyling, before repotting into the “new” antique Chinese pot:

D473F866-E745-4897-A2C1-41EB4651E5D0.jpeg

The white blob is some paper towel tied on with wire. It’s purpose is to catch any sap dripping so that it doesn’t drip on the pot or the trunk. The restyle was done last September. I could have removed it, but I was busy, and forgot to remove it when I was repotting. I was focused on getting the angle right in the Chinese pot.

Those antique Chinese pots are often convex in shape on the bottom. The shape improves drainage by directing water out from under the center towards the drain holes on the outsides. That’s a good thing. But it can make it a challenge to secure the tree in at exactly the proper angle.

But I digress...

The point is, the trees CAN be redesigned, even with a forward leaning apex! This tree had originally been designed by Matsuya at a demo in Los Angeles in 1980. Now, 38 years later, it’s redesigned!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, you may have a point about redesigning...

The point is, the trees CAN be redesigned, even with a forward leaning apex! This tree had originally been designed by Matsuya at a demo in Los Angeles in 1980. Now, 38 years later, it’s redesigned!

Does the new apex lean forward? :p

No doubt trees can be redesigned. I would imagine that not all of them look that good when turned 90 deg, though with enough time and effort they can eventually be
made respectable. So perhaps that wasn't a very strong argument in the first place!

Anyway...it's been interesting but I don't think I have much more to say on the subject. I will certainly be paying more attention to this issue at the next
National show.

The take home point for me, though - I have some trees that I've been struggling with designing. A couple I thought had really good potential
"fronts" (based on the nebari, trunk line, primary branches) but I hesitated to commit to styling them because the tops did not come forward. I'm
not so concerned about that anymore and am actually looking forward to getting them out of winter storage and looking with a fresh set of
eyes and ideas.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So, if your tree offers 'a hand up' or presents 'a stairway to heaven', it seems to be okay to ignore the rule of angle the tree toward the viewer. Many cascades and many Indonesian/Philippine/Chinese designs that I like do this. For example (from Juan Llaga)

40409e171bd3b13fe697bb532cb8a345.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is pretty obvious that we are thinking rules but are talking principles. This only applies to upright styles.
Okay.
A JWP from Taiwan - stairway to heaven. The apex is very much (hiding) away from the viewer, yet a very calm and pleasing image, IMHO.

28eff79776109e9acad060b6b12d6ef6.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Okay.
A JWP from Taiwan - stairway to heaven. The apex is very much (hiding) away from the viewer, yet a very calm and pleasing image, IMHO.

View attachment 225624
That’s very close to being a windswept. Or “wind influenced”. At any rate, I would say it’s a semicascade.

Regardless, I think the composition would be improved by removing the top cloud of foliage above the exposed section of trunk. And, I would remove or move the foliage that is to the right of the curved trunk.

The whole concept of a semicascade is that it is growing on the face of a cliff. The wall of the cliff would be to the right, the tree has to extend out to the left to receive light. The branch to the right of the tree is growing back towards the wall face, which does not seem natural.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Does the new apex lean forward? :p

No doubt trees can be redesigned. I would imagine that not all of them look that good when turned 90 deg, though with enough time and effort they can eventually be
made respectable. So perhaps that wasn't a very strong argument in the first place!

Anyway...it's been interesting but I don't think I have much more to say on the subject. I will certainly be paying more attention to this issue at the next
National show.

The take home point for me, though - I have some trees that I've been struggling with designing. A couple I thought had really good potential
"fronts" (based on the nebari, trunk line, primary branches) but I hesitated to commit to styling them because the tops did not come forward. I'm
not so concerned about that anymore and am actually looking forward to getting them out of winter storage and looking with a fresh set of
eyes and ideas.
The apex is over on the left, but indeed, it does move towards the new front.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dirk, a Broom style tree is a Formal Upright, so the apex is supposed to be directly over the nebari, with no forward lean.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So, @SU2, my answer to your question of
What cases/when is it right, aesthetically-speaking, to ignore the rule of "angle the tree toward the viewer"?
is
when the design invites you into it in some other way, instead of offering you (the viewer) shelter in the customary fashion of an upright design
Cascades, for example, offer and aesthetically pleasing 'stairway to heaven' as long as the bottom of the cascading branch comes toward the viewer. There are many variations on this that are not really cascades, but the principle applies, IMHO, even in upright styles. Just today I noticed this tree posted by @Walter Pall on Instagram.

bba0c89e1b1da3bbaef39ebe73aa86a6.jpg

It is hard to tell from a pic, but I think the apex of this tree goes away from us, toward the back, but its long right arm reaches around and offers us 'a way in' low on the left.

Combined with my previous post , this (when the design invites you into it in some other way) is my simple answer to your rather enigmatic question. Thanks for asking it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom