What did it cost?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I respect all the views expressed here. Truly, if you have a bonsai or a hundred bonsai, there is no reason why you should share any information regarding it that you don't wish to share. I get that.
I guess I am a throwback. If you visit my house I don't mind telling you the price I paid for any item, bonsai or otherwise. It simply makes no difference to me.
When spring rolls anyone who wishes to can come by for a visit and test me on this. I guess I am kind of an open book. Not necessarily a good book and certainly a flawed book, and not particularly easy to understand.
Don't know what you mean by 'throwback." My mom and grandmother both from the deep south, considered asking about what things cost as waaaay out of bounds and usually asked by ham-brained Yankees who didn't know any better... ;) 😁

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like a lotta guilt for accepting too much, shame for spending too much, and other random foolishness.

Don't be afraid of the truth. Admitting what you paid is strong in truth, hiding it is giving power to the devil that is money.

How does one expect to display cowardice and not get treated as such? Act weak, get stole from.

Why do we believe there is some sort of deep underground bonsai thief organization that we should fear?
These are only meth addicts and other weak ass people.
Don't fear them.

It would be nice of we could stop making excuses and just be real.

You can literally do this entirely for free, much better than anyone selling you anything for any price, with just a little study.

We should spend more time studying than being fearful.

Sad State.

They want us to lie to each other.
That we do is pathetic.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like a lotta guilt for accepting too much, shame for spending too much, and other random foolishness.

Don't be afraid of the truth. Admitting what you paid is strong in truth, hiding it is giving power to the devil that is money.

How does one expect to display cowardice and not get treated as such? Act weak, get stole from.

Why do we believe there is some sort of deep underground bonsai thief organization that we should fear?
Don't fear them.

You can literally do this entirely for free, much better than anyone selling you anything for any price, with just a little study.

Sad State.

That we do is pathetic.

Sorce
Like I said, Hambrained Yankees...

No, it's not about "truth" ya half wit...it's about nunnya, as in nunnya bidness...I owe you no explanation of much of anything. Weak ass idiots think they are owed things like information on how much their neighbor makes or spends and on what. Screw you.

Have you had your head in the sand lately dipshit--bonsai thefts are increasing. They've always been targets of theft. IF you have any trees you've invested more than $12 in, theft is a consideration.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Don't know what you mean by 'throwback." My mom and grandmother both from the deep south, considered asking about what things cost as waaaay out of bounds and usually asked by ham-brained Yankees who didn't know any better... ;) 😁
My dad taught us from early on that asking someone what they paid for something was extremely rude and should never be done. On the other hand, "What'd you pay for that" is often the first thing out of most of my husband's families mouths when someone gets something new. Just another reason I can't stand most of them..........

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As I stated earlier, I have no problem with secrecy about such things. I was raised that way too, but it didn't take. Therefore a throwback I am. (and I don't consider this negative or positive, it simply is) I am not in the habit of asking such things but it bothers me not if others do. I am more inclined to tell you outright than I am to wait for the question. I don't think it has much to do with value for the dollar. If it cost me $3 I will tell you so without reservation, whether its worth 30 cents or $300.
But I don't have expensive trees and probably will not have. For me a $300 tree is a whole lotta money and I would likely pass. Will I always feel this way? Who knows? I may sell a couple of my $1400 Black Widow longbows and buy a $1,000 bonsai, but I doubt it. I would more likely spend that $1,000 on a wood chipper or even a pile of lumber.
I do think its awesome that some of you feel comfortable spending big money on bonsai, in the same way that I enjoy seeing bonsai that are worth more than my car and truck combined.
But back to the original gist of the thread, I simple do not care if people know what I spend for this or for that ..........except maybe my wife. And that is prudent.

Sorce, love you man but you are still angry. But at least I think we understand each other.

AZ Newb

Sapling
Reaction score
I’m really more interested in where people buy there bonsai then how much they paid. Living in Phoenix, we don’t have any bonsai nurseries. Pretty much limited to our club sales or regular nurseries.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Don't fear them.

Sad State.

That we do is pathetic.

Sorce
Okay with this logic you shouldn't have any problem giving me your social security number, your bank account numbers, your credit card numbers along with the CVV for them. Your home address and how much you make per year.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IF you have any trees you've invested more than $12 in, theft is a consideration.

Well, that's pretty much the crux of the matter right there. If ya got nothing worth stealing, theft is not much of a consideration.

Top Bottom