What flowering & fruiting bonsai do you recommend for zone 9A?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've looked at thousands of real life bonsai and pictures & videos. For some reasons conifers don't tickle my fancy except for Bald cypress and Montezuma cypress. As a whole I like the deciduous more. However, the bonsai that really get me excited are the flowering and fruiting bonsai. Things like Barbados cherry, tamarind, azaleas, quince, pomegranates absolutely thrill me. All that said, what flowering and fruiting bonsai would your recommend for zone 9A?

Just so you know, so far I have one each of tamarind, pomegranate, ochna serrulata & integerrima, and Chinese fringe.

Last edited:

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Go Australian, take a look at Callistemons/Melaleucas, Acacias, Leptospermums, Banksias to name but a few. Most should be hardy enough for 9a and likely available as nursery stock readily enough in the U.S.
Some tough as nails and respond well to technique but if you want flowers then they are second to none.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Quince - great tree, beaut flowers but hard to ramify unless it's chojubai.
Prunus is a another great choice - Spinosa, Cerasifera, mume are all lovely trees that provide flowers very early in the year.
Potentilla - a very vigorous tree for the impatient clipper.
Hawthorn - great tree for Bonsai (backbuds, grows fast) but can be a reluctant bloomer in a pot.
Cotoneaster - very easy to make into a tree - flowers profusely and a nice crop of red berries. Similar is Pyracantha but glossier Evergreen leaves with red, orange or yellow berries.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, a Chinese quince are hesitant to bloom. Japenese quince are far hardier of bloomers. Satsuki azalea are real special in bloom. I force myself not to continue to buy them. But...it's been a struggle. But my location where they thrive...that bench is pretty full. So there is that.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Go Australian, take a look at Callistemons/Melaleucas, Acacias, Leptospermums, Banksias to name but a few. Most should be hardy enough for 9a and likely available as nursery stock readily enough in the U.S.
Some tough as nails and respond well to technique but if you want flowers then they are second to none.
Awesome Aussie suggestions.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'm in a much colder zone, but that just means yours will do better with the longer outdoor growing season. Barbados cherries will pretty much bloom all summer, just don't let them dry out completely. Bougies will also bloom on and off all summer. (no fruit) Natal plums have a great smelling flower, if you can coax them into blooming. I also have a couple citrus, not bonsai, but the flowers smell great, and the little fruit is fun.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've not really allowed my pyracantha to bloom...focusing on development. I've left only very few to see a few blooms and fruit. But, of all on my bench, this one has me shocked at how far it's come in a short time. Two years on my bench...
Photo from nursery rough stock that I chose from...
image.jpg

Two years later...a fun project species. Once you grasp they are worked a little differently.
image.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm in a much colder zone, but that just means yours will do better with the longer outdoor growing season. Barbados cherries will pretty much bloom all summer, just don't let them dry out completely. Bougies will also bloom on and off all summer. (no fruit) Natal plums have a great smelling flower, if you can coax them into blooming. I also have a couple citrus, not bonsai, but the flowers smell great, and the little fruit is fun.
I forgot to mention that I do have one bougie.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
1? They're like potato chips, you can't have just 1. ;)
Where I grew up, you plant one and it covers your entire house in a few years. I used to hate them because they punctured my soccer balls. I can't tell you how many times I had to patch the bladder in my soccer balls. I have one and its color is not great. I'm waiting for a good one before I propagate for a whole bunch.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would assume your climate is very similar to mine. Even though your in zone 9a your plants, unless you plan to bring them in, need to be hardy for zone 8. We can get zone 8 winter with zone 9+ summers!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I would assume your climate is very similar to mine. Even though your in zone 9a your plants, unless you plan to bring them in, need to be hardy for zone 8. We can get zone 8 winter with zone 9+ summers!
That's true. Once every 5 years or so we get a hard down swing of the jet stream bringing us a couple weeks of really low temperature.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Where I grew up, you plant one and it covers your entire house in a few years. I used to hate them because they punctured my soccer balls. I can't tell you how many times I had to patch the bladder in my soccer balls. I have one and its color is not great. I'm waiting for a good one before I propagate for a whole bunch.
You can't find them around here, the stores/nurseries just don't carry them. I guess because they could never be a landscape plant in this zone. And not everyone is a nutcase like me that drags shit in and out in the spring and fall.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
You can't find them around here, the stores/nurseries just don't carry them. I guess because they could never be a landscape plant in this zone. And not everyone is a nutcase like me that drags shit in and out in the spring and fall.
I'm not a nutcase. I don't drag shit in and out. I have a dolly!

On second thought, I just thought of my grow lights hanging from the panel jack over the trees in my basement. These are all tropical trees that have no business growing in my climate. I am a nutcase.

Last edited:

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some of the fastest developing flowering plants are azaleas (certain varieties are stronger than others). Azaleas love the northern Gulf climate. You can find satsuki varieites in the nursery trade (chinzan, waka-e-bisu, momo-no-haru) that can be developed into nice bonsai in less than 10 years.

I don't know first hand, but I suspect Chinese quince would love your climate. And they are relatively fast to develop. However, they are fairly hard to come by. You can get seedlings on ebay, sometimes cuttings on facebook, pre-bonsai are very rare, and developed trees are practically non-existent.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Cajunrider
Ah, the possibilities are endless. You are in zone 9A, where so many different sub-tropical trees and shrubs can be grown outdoors year round.

As @Stan Kengai said: Satsuki Azaleas!
One group that will be great, outdoors, year round, in your location, are the Satsuki azaleas. Kurume azaleas also. These are magnificent in full bloom and make superior bonsai in time. There is a fairly large body of literature, so you don't have to ''go where none have gone before''. Don't worry about winter hardiness, and avoid the azaleas specifically bred for zone 6, 5, and 4. These will have relatively little Satsuki blood. Stick to the true Satsuki. The Japanese actually have a separate appreciation of Satsuki, shows where only Satsuki are allowed. This particular show circuit they will grow into styles specifically meant to showcase the flowers, rather than be ''more bonsai like''. You really can't go wrong with azalea.

Gardenia - they are fully winter hardy by you. I've seen them listed as hardy to zone 7, so you should have no problem. The fragrance is heavenly. Use same potting media and fertilizer as for azalea, like azalea they like mildly acidic conditions.

Roses. - I'm fond of the miniature roses, but will only keep one if it has fragrance. If it does not smell like a rose, it ain't no rose. :cool: My personal bias. I still don't understand why rose breeders would ever release a rose for production if it was not fragrant. Miniature roses would be accent plants for the first decade. It takes a long time to build true wood, but nobody can argue with their archetypical flowers, the standard of beauty. Be certain to purchase only hybrids that are listed as continuous blooming or repeat blooming. If it is not listed that way it only blooms once a summer and in my book, that is not enough.

Top Bottom