What good is cottonwood?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not good for bonsai but they are vital to the ecosystem of the Rio grande valley and riparian habitat that runs along it. The 200 mile stretch of cottonwood in NM is said to be the largest continuous stretch of cottonwood forest in the world. It’s a true gem of our diverse landscape here. Through Abq the cottonwoods, while a total mess some parts of the year, are a delight to ride bikes and to walk through. Big problem is the Siberian elm, Russian olive and mulberry that are threatening the Bosque and cottonwood survival.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, several, native plant only nurseries here, grow cottonless cottonwoods, that are great for landscapes. I had three my dad had planted in my backyard as a kid and they are all 60 plus feet tall now.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not good for bonsai but they are vital to the ecosystem of the Rio grande valley and riparian habitat that runs along it. The 200 mile stretch of cottonwood in NM is said to be the largest continuous stretch of cottonwood forest in the world. It’s a true gem of our diverse landscape here. Through Abq the cottonwoods, while a total mess some parts of the year, are a delight to ride bikes and to walk through. Big problem is the Siberian elm, Russian olive and mulberry that are threatening the Bosque and cottonwood survival.
Fun fact: in Better Call Saul, the Omaha Cinnabon that Gene manages is actually the one in Cottonwood Mall in Albuquerque.

Not so fun fact: I recently drove the length of Nebraska, where I-80 traces the Platte River. The sheer abundance of Russian olives on that river is totally crazy and out of control. It would take 100 years to remove them all.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fun fact: in Better Call Saul, the Omaha Cinnabon that Gene manages is actually the one in Cottonwood Mall in Albuquerque.

Not so fun fact: I recently drove the length of Nebraska, where I-80 traces the Platte River. The sheer abundance of Russian olives on that river is totally crazy and out of control. It would take 100 years to remove them all.
Yup. Better call Saul and breaking bad were and are filmed in NM. I’ve got some great friends that have there hands all over those productions, not to mention all the extras I’ve seen in each show.

Russian olive, Siberian elm, and mulberry are all a big issue in the Bosque here. I’ve been walking it yearly to dig up as many Siberian elms as I want. Haven’t done olive or mulberry yet but I will.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Also, several, native plant only nurseries here, grow cottonless cottonwoods, that are great for landscapes. I had three my dad had planted in my backyard as a kid and they are all 60 plus feet tall now.
Thats because they are male clones-no fluffy seeds

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’ve thought about it because we have some naturally growing near creeks and stuff

Due to their thirst for water, I decided it wouldn’t be good here in the desert

Maybe something in the future, but not right now. I have way too many plants to kill first

Top Bottom