What is best/safest to do first. Style or repot?

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If not sure, what is best/safest way? To do the re-pot first or do the styling?
I am talking about nursery stock, planted inside regular soil in regular pots.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks! I assume that cleanup of dead and really weak branches also ca not harm the tree?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I’d have to agree with chanson on this one.
Good to check out the feet before you make out with the face.
Some pines like a summer pot though. So it could depend on species as well!
✌️

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If not sure, what is best/safest way? To do the re-pot first or do the styling?
I am talking about nursery stock, planted inside regular soil in regular pots.
For many reasons repot first is important.
First and foremost health of the tree. Set it up for success going forward.
Knowledge of the root system and preparation for Bonsai pot over stages.
Exposes nebari and potential nebari for design planning. ie: picking the front
Often exposes hidden issues that must be addressed, rotted roots, inverse taper, insect infestations such as grubs, termites etc.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank for the tips! I have two spruces (pungens and glauca) and Korean golden fir.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
And another thing regardin repoting spruces and firs. Some articles says that they should be repotted in mid- summer and some in early spring. What is the correct/ better way?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
And another thing regardin repoting spruces and firs. Some articles says that they should be repotted in mid- summer and some in early spring. What is the correct/ better way?
For me it's spring. But you'll get more different answers I bet.
My summers can be hot and dry, so I prefer not to take any risks when it comes to repotting them.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks! Summers here are also extremly hot and dry for last couple of years.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot and Dry aren't the adjectives associated with fear of summer repotting. Unless you don't water.

Hot and Windy.

But then you can still water.

Ask @0soyoung the actual temps at which roots stop growing.
Keep in mind that is watered root zone temps that you can maintain.

Then, the fear of spring repotting Spruce is apparent. They are trying to grow on top at that time. Why stress them?

Don't fear summer repotting of Spruce.

As far as which should come first.....

Define "regular soil".

Here, the only things that MUST be potted (planted in the ground actually.risk.) are balled and burlapped trees from what is usually clay. (And don't quote me on that must, but for me it is)

A tree in Nursery soil is set up to grow well and will for at least 4 or 5 years.
Which is plenty of time to style, recover, then repot.

Inspect the roots.

The only ticking time bomb is....
Will the roots get too hard to unmess before you get to them?

The rest is up to what the design encorporates.

Styling via wiring every branch is different than styling via cutting off 80% of the foliage.

Think of the top too, and it's ticking time bombs.
If there is a heavy section that is going to get worse before the tree recovers enough from repotting to deal with said heavy section, perhaps you MUST cut heavy and therefore "style" now.

PPB.
Keep potential problems at bay.

Sorce

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Regular soilas the soil used in garden centres. Not bonsai nursery, just a regular trees.
Regarding the styling, for the both spruces, at least half of the foliage will be remove eventually, which i plan to do in periods of couple of years.
From every info i have collected on the internet and mostly here i think that the best and safest way for me would be re-pot first and style it later.
I am just still not sure what is the safest season. Spring or early summer? I guess it depends on personal experiences?

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here are the pictures of all three trees.
First two have been cleaned, the fir was just bought today. I am starting to collecting material so i can something more to work with.
Would and i will bough more before spring, but i have to be careful so that my girlfriend doesn't get to annoyed with me and my trees :p

20200125_150833.jpg20200125_150918.jpg20200127_164445.jpg

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks! I assume that cleanup of dead and really weak branches also ca not harm the tree?
Yeah, removing dead stuff is fine. Generally the same is true with weak stuff, as long as you know you really don't need it. I've sometimes left weak branches in place on purpose, because I want them to get stronger, etc. But if you know you don't need weak branches, they can go.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The hot side ?

Sorce
I am unaware of any studies where an exact temperature of stasis is nailed down. Generally growth is limited by enzymatic reactions that are slowed to less than a snail's pace when temperatures are about 40F/5C or below. Seedlings are often lifted from fields and kept over winter in refrigerators kept at roughly 40F/5C. I'm sure there is abundant observations that little or no growth occurs and is connected with why our household refrigerators are kept at roughly 40F/5C as well. Anybody that has stratified seeds in their refrigerator knows it isn't exactly true that nothing grows at these temperatures because sometimes seeds germinate, right there in the frig. It would be less likely to happen if we lower the thermostat setting - just a few degrees makes a big difference.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry, the hot side...I think I remember you saying around 90F is the hot side stopper.

Sorce
Duh :oops: .
I'm so easily confused
😓

Yes, you recall correctly.

Top Bottom