What soil type for growing in ground?

Reaction score
I hear it a lot, put the tree in the ground to let it grow and thinken the truck. But I have yet to find out what soil this should be done in? Typical bonsai free draining soil or native or organic soil?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I hear it a lot, put the tree in the ground to let it grow and thinken the truck. But I have yet to find out what soil this should be done in? Typical bonsai free draining soil or native or organic soil?

Pretty much anything EXCEPT bonsai soil!

🤣🤣🤣

I'm using re-hydrated then pulverized beet root fiber horse feed pellets and compost in one of my beds this year..

My beds have worked GREAT with garden/native soil with perlite or sand mixed on as an amendment.

Also PURE native collected soils seem to work just fine, as well...

So does "cheap potting soil/recycled soil"

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Pretty much anything EXCEPT bonsai soil!

🤣🤣🤣

I'm using re-hydrated then pulverized beet root fiber horse feed pellets and compost in one of my beds this year..

My beds have worked GREAT with garden/native soil with perlite or sand mixed on as an amendment.

Also PURE native collected soils seem to work just fine, as well...

So does "cheap potting soil/recycled soil"
May I add “Anything but pure clay!”

Last edited:

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have a lot of clay so I amend with old mulch and used potting/bonsai soil.
This is the same for me. I basically dump all of my old soil from my potted plants and bonsai in one are of the yard and use that area for ground growing. Doesn't hurt to have some pumice/perlite/lava rock in there to help aerate the soil but other than that plants are pretty dang good at growing in the ground as long as the soil isn't terrible.

Dave704

Seedling
Reaction score
I use equal parts native garden soil, cheap potting soil and Stalite ( because it is made 40 miles from me) or any coarse drainage. I also use large shallow grow bags for some containment of the roots.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the same for me. I basically dump all of my old soil from my potted plants and bonsai in one are of the yard and use that area for ground growing. Doesn't hurt to have some pumice/perlite/lava rock in there to help aerate the soil but other than that plants are pretty dang good at growing in the ground as long as the soil isn't terrible.
This is what I have done for many years as well.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I use the natural soil of my land. My soil is very sandy. I can dig down 6-8 inches and it’s like pure beach sand. Most of the topmost layer is composed of years of fallen oak leaves.
Same here, I’m in the bottom of an old glacial valley.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I use the natural soil of my land. My soil is very sandy. I can dig down 6-8 inches and it’s like pure beach sand. Most of the topmost layer is composed of years of fallen oak leaves.

Ditto (but not oaks).. I feel my dirt is also "good", It has never disappointed me.

🤓

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I planted a pre-bonsai elm and a water jasmine 'stick' on the edge of my rose garden and ignored them. They get full sun and whatever water falls from the sky. Not only have they grown but @Carol the water jasmine is already blooming! It was just stuck there after pruning the water jasmine. The water jasmine I've kept pruned and fertilized has never bloomed so this is interesting. The trunks on both have grown as if it were put on fast forward.

The elm is there only because it's a classic S shaped Chinese import. When I chose my first trees I thought that style of tree was something I should try. When I realized it was wired and shaped for import I no longer wanted it. I decided to just let it grow and will chop it when the trunk had grown out straight enough.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I planted a pre-bonsai elm and a water jasmine 'stick' on the edge of my rose garden and ignored them. They get full sun and whatever water falls from the sky. Not only have they grown but @Carol the water jasmine is already blooming! It was just stuck there after pruning the water jasmine. The water jasmine I've kept pruned and fertilized has never bloomed so this is interesting. The trunks on both have grown as if it were put on fast forward.

The elm is there only because it's a classic S shaped Chinese import. When I chose my first trees I thought that style of tree was something I should try. When I realized it was wired and shaped for import I no longer wanted it. I decided to just let it grow and will chop it when the trunk had grown out straight enough.
Glad it is blooming for you! A Water Jasmine in the ground here would never survive our winters.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Glad it is blooming for you! A Water Jasmine in the ground here would never survive our winters.
I know Carol but I'm glad you have one. Mine hasn't shown any signs of blooming but I've kept it pruned pretty tight. My husband once said, 'It looks like a topiary', and after that I stopped just pinching the big leaves and started removing the branches I won't keep removed sooner than later.

Just thought it's odd that one growing with no attention whatsoever is blooming. I hadn't even noticed it but my husband brought it to my attention. I thought it would be a 'throwaway' when I planted it there.

Top Bottom