What to do with my new Larch?

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ok, I decided to join the rascal club and released my very limited wiring skills on the poor thing.
Besides taking some wiring classes I better sign up for a photography course too if you ask me...

20181125_210547.jpg

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice dude
Wireing looks not to bad and the tree improved ya rascal!
Im still waiting till mine is bald :(

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Larch are quickly becoming my favorite genus. They don't back bud so it's important to protect what you have in the branches. I've heard a big challenge with them is developing taper. which looking at mine is a problem with one of the two of them. the others are seedlings so they'll be spared. If there is a current branch that is either too thick or just redundant, I'd highly recommend you let it grow unchecked to add some taper to this tree, if you're still thinking of increasing over all height. They heal nicely and disguise stupid looking chops in a single season, if you're working small (about 15" or less). I like what you have so far and your wiring looks pretty good to me

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh also, I'm sure I'm only repeating information you've heard before but I do all of my major pruning in winter and that has been good so far. And i wire mine whenever it's naked, and that has never given me problems. fall , winter, or spring if you can get it off in time

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So, 2 years later...
It's still in the pond basket, I pruned the branches from time to time. I looked like a little tree in the Slanting (Shakkan) style. But it lacked character.
So a little birdy (looked a bit like Yannick Kiggen) adviced me to turn it into a Moyogi. Since you can't go wrong with a $25 "tree" I gave it a go.

Tree before:

20201210_191511.jpg

Tree after:

20201228_222049.jpg

At least after 2 years in the basket it's starting to develop a decent foot:

20201101_124048.jpg

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
So, 2 years later...
It's still in the pond basket, I pruned the branches from time to time. I looked like a little tree in the Slanting (Shakkan) style. But it lacked character.
So a little birdy (looked a bit like Yannick Kiggen) adviced me to turn it into a Moyogi. Since you can't go wrong with a $25 "tree" I gave it a go.

Tree before:

View attachment 346679

Tree after:

View attachment 346680

At least after 2 years in the basket it's starting to develop a decent foot:

View attachment 346681
Question is if you’d still pay 25 in it’s current state ;)

bold move indeed. Maybe wire a branch up for a new leader. The sudden 90 degree angle isn’t very pleasing I think.
next time maybe leave part of the trunk for a future Jin, it can always be cut off later if it doesnt work.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Question being how is trunk ever to get bigger in small container and no sacrifice branch/apex:confused:.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What was the advice based on? Did he aim for better taper? I am not sure I would have taken such a bold step.

Actually, I am sure I would not, as I did work on a similar piece of material last weekend. (Did not cost me 25 bucks though!).

Maybe consider givin it a little more legroom and let a bud run free for the year, to bulk up the lower trunk!?

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Question being how is trunk ever to get bigger in small container and no sacrifice branch/apex:confused:.
The trunk thickness is fine as it is. Going to be a small slender moyogi.

This is the idea (enjoy my photoshop skills):

20201228_222049b.jpg

Top Bottom