What to do with this tree?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
So, I've been reading up on Bonsai, and finally went out and got me a tree.

I found this little guy at Walmart, and it looked like he could use some TLC.

IMG_20140806_215408_zpsoobzqhxd.jpg
IMG_20140806_215423_zpsjzslvt3z.jpg

What do y'all think? What should I do with it?

I'm thinking of removing that wonky side branch. What would y'all do?

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't cut anything drastic yet.

Location?

Reading what? Where?

Poke a finger in the soil and figure out what you're working with.

Does it drain through as you pour?

Keeping it alive till spring will be your mission. At which time repotting into good soil will be advised.

I found a soil thoroughly watered once a day is best. Unless you don't work, it couldbe twice a day.

Looks like you got a lot of work to do though! Keep the drywall dust off of it!

Welcome to crazy!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The drywall dust that makes it OUTSIDE of course.

You could have read it is an indoor tree. But I beleive your location isnt Antarctica!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Check to see if that moss is glued on...I picked up one from Walmart that had a similar look to it. It doesn't allow the water to drain to the roots and soon they can die. So first thing...is check the top soil and see if it has pebbles and moss that seem stiff and glued in and chisel it off.

If you caught it in time...it should thrive.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks for the quick responses.

First off, I'm located in the deep south. Alabama to be exact.

There's no drywall (yet) to get dust on the tree :D Anyways, it's outside. I just brought it inside after I purchased it. Walmart had it labeled as an "indoor bonsai", but I know better than that.

As far as what I've been reading, I've read countless websites (Well, I mainly ogled the trees posted on them, but I think that counts :p ) I've also read two books: Craig Cousins' "Bonsai for Beginners" and Herb L. Gustafson's "Bonsai Workshop"

The moss isn't glued on. Though, it wouldn't have surprised me if it was. Walmart does all sorts of crazy stuff. Cacti are my first plant love, and you'd be amazed at how they abuse them. With glued on paper flowers and stuff.

The soil seems alright, but not ideal. I'd like to go ahead and re-pot it, but you think I should wait?

Any more tips?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It's a juniper, probably a procumbens nana. They belong outside all year in our area. Keeping it up off the ground and regularly spraying the foliage with water will help control spider mites.

Repotting is done in late spring. Now isn't a good time. If water is draining through, it's best to wait.

Styling? They tend to grow in a spreading form. If you like cascade, you can work with that tendency. If you want a more upright tree, you can prune it back now. Be sure to leave plenty of foliage on branches you intend to keep.

If you're near Birmingham, our club meets at the BBG on the second Monday of each month, 7:00 in the auditorium. I won't be there this Monday night, but if you bring it, you'll receive plenty of guidance to consider.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Wow, never thought I'd find another Alabamaian on here!

I'm rather close to Birmingham. I'm up in Blount County.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BVF trees are nice. With a BVF recommendation to go, you really should!

Top Bottom