What to you all think of this tree?

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Not a chance. I would expect something with primary and secondary branches set, good nebari, and trunk with no scars for that type of money. My .02 cents

Nomiyama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm with Nathan, $200 tops. Too many flaws and too much work to ever make this ever a nice bonsai. Rare? worth 3x? lol

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Yikes...I don't think it's worth the $100 in shipping...major flaws. Too many to list. You could do far better for that kind of money. IMHO :)

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
I could be wrong but it does look like it has a pretty clear graft line/scar on the trunk too. Pretty common with any JM varieties. Which I suppose is generally not very desirable in bonsai, though this graft doesn't seem to negatively affect the taper in my opinion. But it's still visible. I'd love to have this tree, but no way would I pay that much and the fact that I picked out the graft scar in the first picture I saw should be grounds for a further discount.

srunge55

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm really glad the consensus is this price is ridiculous. I'm new to bonsai and don't have and nice material yet. I was starting to think I should find another hobby if this was a good buy.

Steve

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
Reaction score
F that , its terrible, has a graft that's not even well matched. Here is one I think is worth the money, and this is 1/3 yours price. I emailed this guy and he said he would bring it to me for free and charge just the starting price of 450
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Urben-Yamadori-Tam-Juniper-Dug-25-Years-Ago-3-Tall-4-Wide-/221327923222?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33882c1816

Are you going to get it then? That looks like a fun one

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks like it has been through a train wreck besides the ugly graft. LOL and wire scars on a straight branch....

Definitely not worth the $1500. I don't think Id spend $200 or even $100 for it.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
F that , its terrible, has a graft that's not even well matched. Here is one I think is worth the money, and this is 1/3 yours price. I emailed this guy and he said he would bring it to me for free and charge just the starting price of 450
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Urben-Yamadori-Tam-Juniper-Dug-25-Years-Ago-3-Tall-4-Wide-/221327923222?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33882c1816

If youre going to spend that kind of money this is an option IMO, although it might be a bit pricey.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Five-Needle...d=100012&prg=1014&rk=5&rkt=5&sd=141107361561&

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score

That is definitely too much for that tree as well. Another $100-200 tree

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Everybody here needs to stop this intentional malice towards that tree and seller. They are both someone's offspring, and furthermore you may be hurting the feelings of some members of this board who believe everything on ebay has a place in someone's heart.
I wont
Mention
Anyone's name.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

You can spend your money however you wish. I believe that the price on this tree is out of range and should not be paid. The tree has more flaws than the price can justify. I believe too the 450 juniper is too much. There us an axiom to the point that the price of learning bonsai is tracked in a trail of dead trees. I would suggest that you purchase some cheap nursery trees to experiment with till you get a feel for what its like trying to keep a tree alive in a container. Once you have gotten over that hurdle and spent some time butchering some less expensive tree, then you can think of investing in something with a triple digit price tag.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you like this tree, I would suggest creating your own. You can go to a regular landscape nursery and pic out a $100 maple, chop it (at the proper time) and regrow it to look like this. You will save yourself a ton of money and gain experience. Also, have the distinction of something you created. If you need guidance, there are many knowledgeable people on here when it comes to maples. Member Smoke (AL) creates maples like this all the time.

Rob

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Look at the raft for sale on Colin Lewis bonsai site.It blows this tree away in my opinion and is half the price.Better than the 1500. Maple.

Last edited:

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's definitely a high price, but I don't think its that ridiculous. It takes a long time to get a dwarf variety to have a trunk that big. It's pretty similar, and the same price, that Brent has for one on his site. It wouldn't surprise me if it would retail for about half that price here in the northeast. I like the $450 juniper much better.

https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/specimendec.htm

https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/graphics/0500-010-1.jpg

Top Bottom