What will you do in 2022 to push your boundaries?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
As many years that I have been a Bonsaiist,I have never done any air layering, so I am going to do some air layering on Trident maple that I have in my front yard, and air layering on some Bald Cypress that I have.
Also, I want to start hanging out with the San Diego Bonsai club and with other bonsai artists.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As many years that I have been a Bonsaiist,I have never done any air layering, so I am going to do some air layering on Trident maple that I have in my front yard, and air layering on some Bald Cypress that I have.
Also, I want to start hanging out with the San Diego Bonsai club and with other bonsai artists.

Weird coincidence. My answer was also gonna be air layering and joining a club.

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In the fall of 2022, I'll be adding another 5 foot section to my winter storage set-up. Just emerging from a second winter and it's worked brilliantly. All conifers moved out on benches now, but left my underdeveloped deciduous in place until they start to push and it's time to repot several.

Then I can get more trees... additional species and another expansion of current boundaries!

On a more serious (and less literal) note about boundaries, Jennifer Price will be visiting my garden in early April. Getting in-depth, one-on-one instruction has proven enormously useful, so that's what's really helping me to push boundaries in 2022.

IMG_2941.jpgIMG_2942.jpg

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm curious what everyone is planning to try this year to increase your skills or knowledge.

I'll start with three things on my list:
1) I have a few trees that I've been growing in the ground for ~3 years and it's time for my first big trunk chops on material that I care about.
2) I'm going to attempt some root grafts!
3) I'm going to try to put together a few Saikei-inspired landscape plantings.
Rope…..

Top Bottom