What's possible?

gve

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just collected a fairly large cutting off a prune tree. Now I don't know if I did it right, but I loosened the bark about 15 cm in strips, cut away a big part of the wood inside, dipped the stripped bark into rooting powder and planted the cutting about 20cm deep.

1. Does this sound more or less what one should do? This is the first time I've ever plaanted a cutting.
2. I also read that the cutting should be covered in seethrough plastic without it touching the cutting. I also read that this must be done in such a way that there is no air communication. Somehow this sounds funny.
3. If it must be done, why and for how long?
4. It is still cool outside (0-10°C). I've brought the tree inside or should I leave it outside?

If anyone can shed some light in my dark ally, I would appreciate it!!

Gerhard

Ashbarns

Mame
Reaction score
Hello Gerhard I think you may be getting air layering mixed up with taking cuttings. Is the tree a prunus? Air layering is about acquiring a new tree by growing a root system while the subject is still attached to the main tree. You may wish to do a search on how to do this as it would take ages to describe that process properly. Taking cuttings is another way to increase your stock but these would be much thinner than you described and early spring would be a better option to harvest them. How to strike cuttings can be obtained from most gardening books.

Regards Ash :)

I just re-read your question again and in fact you ARE trying to take cuttings (the plastic threw me) The plastic is used as a mini greenhouse held up by sticks to avoid touching the cutting. Outside would be my choice to strike cuttings and the warmer weather would be more suitable for that. However taking air layers is something you may consider as you will obtain that big "cutting" you are looking for in a more judicious fashion.

Last edited:

gve

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks Ash, your comment is most helpful. Indeed you are right, I'm not trying air layering, but growing roots from a cutting.
My question though is why must it be "airtight". Is a normal greenhouse effect with circulating air not sufficient? And if, for how long must this be covered?

Ashbarns

Mame
Reaction score
Prunus ok. Is the tree in leaf? When the cutting puts out new leaves and is growing you will know you had a win. The reason the greenhouse is airtight is to keep the moisture/humidity levels constant and I would check on this every day, if drying mist spray. It is doubtful a large cutting will root but as an experiment persevere with it. If nothing else it will be a learning curve. I would wait till spring and take more cuttings (it may be spring already) about 8cm long with a couple of leaves on them at the top. Place about 10 into a plastic nursery pot and monitor the progress.

Ash :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the cutting fails, read up on air-layering. It is much more reliable on large branches.

Good luck,

Will

gve

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks all. I think I will wait another month or so and have a second go at it. I will certainly continue with this one and see how it goes.
This one hasn't got leaves yet, but everything is budding at the moment around us. Who knows.
Is there a limit on the thickness of a cutting?
Will, I will definately try layering this spring. Or is it at another time one should try it?
Thanks to both for your encouragement!!!

Top Bottom