when is it safe to collect?

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
As many of you already know, I'm planning on doing lots of collecting this spring. When is it safe to start. Any set temp? I know they say after the final frost, but how could you ever know? What if the buds break before that? I don't want to put the tons of questions I have all in one thread. But I do have a few specimens that I'm eager to get my hands on, but I want them to be successful as well.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can collect now if you have a frost-free place to store the collected trees until spring arrives. That is, if the ground is thawed... Digging frozen dirt is no fun.

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
You can collect now if you have a frost-free place to store the collected trees until spring arrives. That is, if the ground is thawed... Digging frozen dirt is no fun.

Frost free but just as cold as outside I'm assuming. I have my basement but I'm sure the temp averages in the sixties. It's been really rainy the ground is like mush right now, which I hear is a great time to collect. Don't know if its true or not, but I was told it damages the tree less if the ground is wet from recent rain.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Where you going? I have a few in some friends yards I can't wait to lay hands on!

10 minutes from my house at Grandmothers farm, lotsa stuff around the 2 acre pond and out back as she is retired so... well a lot of older trees just gone wild :p

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
10 minutes from my house at Grandmothers farm, lotsa stuff around the 2 acre pond and out back as she is retired so... well a lot of older trees just gone wild :p

What town is this in? My wife thinks I'm crazy for even considering lol

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best time to dig

There are two things that matter most. 1. You want to collect things before the buds are starting to push. If the buds are swelling your running out of time. 2. You don't want freezing temps after you collect it. The roots are already traumatized and freezing temps add to the problem. I keep my collected trees in my garage until frost threats are done.

Top Bottom