Where in the world is Ficus San Diego

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ficus shenanigans

So, life plans had me moving from NJ to Southern California. I thought, “I’ll get a nice ficus while I’m down at my folks house down in FL. Tropicals are way cheaper down there and I’ll just ship it up before the move”

Ship the tree and then we have a bad cold snap while it’s getting shipped. Oh and got delayed one day. Temps around 16f at night. I was so worried about it during that time.

The tree arrived with a couple broken branches, which is fine, and a little bit of cold damage on some leaves. Poor thing has been through hell.

Now plans have changed and my family is planning to stay in Jerz for the time being. I now have a large ficus that i have to overwinter with limited space in the house.

I have it set up in a closet. I bought a grow light with some t5 bulbs. A small clip fan and humidifier are coming soon too. I hope i can do right by this tree and get it to start flourishing till i can get it out in the summer.

Other smaller ficus is one I’ve had for a while. Bag on trunk is an experiment in aerial roots.

day i bought it
AF55F553-213F-4DB1-8D2A-486BCD88828B.jpeg8E251F2B-31B8-4B15-989A-E0C88740D8F3.jpeg2C45CE45-4568-4511-9A3B-EB91CD006FB0.jpeg7E9E1D0D-D141-499C-9997-8CB831CFA2FA.jpeg

its new set up (back view of trunk)
41F62893-076A-47F5-8D3C-DC548521CCEE.jpeg

Last edited:

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's a nice-sized tree. I've heard that white poster board is more effective at reflecting light: something about diffusing light while foil creates "hotspots". I'm sure either is fine. What are your plans for this in the spring? Get it into a bonsai pot?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You might consider down-sizing to a much smaller tree. It seems to me that it lends itself to about 50% of the canopy. Reduce the roots accordingly.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
You might consider down-sizing to a much smaller tree. It seems to me that it lends itself to about 50% of the canopy. Reduce the roots accordingly.

i was wrestling with that idea too. I came up with this but I’m waiting to see what the tree does. Thank you.34155700-BD20-4F91-8027-EEE7480C508A.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
That's a nice-sized tree. I've heard that white poster board is more effective at reflecting light: something about diffusing light while foil creates "hotspots". I'm sure either is fine. What are your plans for this in the spring? Get it into a bonsai pot?

yes. Hopefully repot it when it’s growing well this summer

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Mirrors work, too. Keep your eye on your neighbor's trash for old back-of-the-door dressing mirrors.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It’s started to grow at the tips again and seems to have come through the worst. I see little green buds starting to pop on bare wood too. Phew, I’m happy to see this one kickin. It seems to approve of my “light locker”
Preferred view?
better branching in first photo
Better roots in the second
BC9BC1C1-34E3-4ED5-818E-56D129505E9C.jpeg
DA75511C-5F97-4D30-978F-9905763696F0.jpeg

Last edited:

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Branches are easier to fix/wire/create than roots... I vote for the second front.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Branches are easier to fix/wire/create than roots... I vote for the second front.
Agreed. I broke my vow of not touching it anymore tonight and did some “light wiring” and “barely” cut anything off. Oh and i cleaned off the trunk a bit. I just needed to see the start of something. Hands off for sure now till it gets nice and strong. I went with the second photo as the front. More interest.

That left bottom branch is definitely a little awkward as it’s coming from the dead back. Hopefully it will fill in and disguise some of itself in the future. Nevertheless I’m pleased for now. 8EED49DE-CF11-47D0-8B41-A588186BC69C.jpeg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dang man. NJ, San Diego, and Miami in the mix all in the same few months! Your ficus will be happy with your final destination.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Get ready to do work like mad on this. Lol I remove and rewire my trees it’s seems like every 5 weeks or so. Welcome to Miami!

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Get ready to do work like mad on this. Lol I remove and rewire my trees it’s seems like every 5 weeks or so. Welcome to Miami!

I'm discovering that significant wiring on ficus requires 3 to 4 months, with the wire being removed and reapplied every month to prevent scarring. I think Adam Lavigne even lets the wire cut in a bit on purpose to aid branch setting, though personally I don't do that.

Top Bottom