Where to get a live oak

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If coarse, furrowed bark, with deep fissures is what you want, along with cold hardy, you really need to look at the bur oak.

Super cold hardy and very rough bark. Hardy through or at least into zone 3.

Only the cork oak has a more rugged bark, and the cork oak is a tender mediterranean tree that will not tolerate its roots freezing solid.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have specifically thought about the coastal live oak as well, but I also had trouble finding a good place to find those.
Coast live oaks are the weediest oak tree there is. They grow along all railroad tracks, ditches, and highway onramps of the Bay Area.

I've got my eye on a couple of candidates for stealth digs come spring. :) Worried about the tap roots, though!

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Coast live oaks are the weediest oak tree there is. They grow along all railroad tracks, ditches, and highway onramps of the Bay Area.

I've got my eye on a couple of candidates for stealth digs come spring. :) Worried about the tap roots, though!

Stealth dig? Considering some clandestine tree operations?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You might check out Cho bonsai for oaks. Alvaro collects southwestern species, particularly grey oak (quercus grisea). It is pretty cold hardy, native high desert in west Texas, NM and Ariz. I've had one for a few year now. It's a species that hasn't been used much, but it should be IMO.

Although the trees on Alvaro's page has a number of sold trees, he's got quite a few. Worth a call or message...

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess I should have said western live oak as they range up and down the west coast from SW Oregon to S Cal.. Also in higher elevations of Arizona and Nevada.

adamjcode

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think you might be the third person to mention them. I'm starting to think they are a good nursery 😁
Wigert's is excellent. I was recently there, and they are currently offering several dozen (maybe 100+) collected Laurel Oaks and a couple dozen Southern Live Oaks. Check out the short videos on their Facebook page from the last couple of days.

Top Bottom