Where to source bulk soil?

Reaction score
I'm looking for the best place to source the best/cheapest small grain akadama, black lava, and pumice. I'd like to buy it in like 50lb or so bags. Where do you guys get it like that? There's loads of online bonsai supply places selling it, but it's in small quantities, and cost way too much. Any help would be appreciated!!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm looking for the best place to source the best/cheapest small grain akadama, black lava, and pumice. I'd like to buy it in like 50lb or so bags. Where do you guys get it like that? There's loads of online bonsai supply places selling it, but it's in small quantities, and cost way too much. Any help would be appreciated!!
Your question is revealing.
Basically products that have been sieved to certain sizes are rarely sold in bulk. They come in predetermined package size by the manufacturer or distributor.
You purchase them in quantity in order to get some reduction in the regular retail price.
For Akadama as an example, the bag size is usually 13 litres, there are several grades of quality as well as size of grain. The most cost effective way to purchase is by a container full of pallets from the producer in Japan, the next is from a local distributor by the pallet ( approx 55 bags). Some retailers will give a small discount for purchasing multiple bags but not much or very often does it go on sale! Usually if the price is substantially lower so is the quality.
For black lava ( Scoria) the only source of sieved small particles I have found sells it in 55 lb bags. It can be purchased for a discount in pallets of 50 bags. But the screened and sieved size is not available in bulk.
Pumice is very inexpensive compared to the other two products because it is locally available across North America. If sieved and screened it is usually sold in same size bags as Akadama, occasionally larger bags because it is very light weight. readily available in bulk if you wish to screen and sieve yourself. I purchase it by the pallet ( 75 bags ).

Because you are in California you could contact Bonsai Tonight, online store. Jonas does sell larger quantities of bagged bonsai soil and some individual components ,also he is located in your state which should reduce shipping costs and possibly allow for pick up if you are close to his location.
You may wish to join in with a club or other enthusiasts to purchase bulk if savings are important.
From my experience best and cheapest do not coexist.
Obtaining best quality at the most economical option is possible, but requires a larger budget to obtain initially.

The best source of specific information are your local clubs or closest bonsai clubs. This is due to the high cost of shipping involved in the type of product you are seeking. You need the closest distributor often to get the fairest price. If you wish to focus on Southern California then the San Diego Bonsai Club is close to you.

The San Diego Bonsai Club has a list of vendors which specifically indicates who has what components in your area. Check out their website.

WimA

Sapling
Reaction score
Can't help you much with your local situation. Personally, I typically buy perlite in 100L bags, and lava of different sizes is available per 20kg (or 500kg if you are thinking really big).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Contact Jonas Dupuich of Bonsai Tonight. (Whoops, Frank is already on point about that!) He has the ability and knowledge to import up to full containers from Japan. He might be able to get you set up, but it’s guaranteed to be a big outlay of cash with a slow lead time.

Portland just this week received its first shipment of akadama since about two years ago.

Last edited:

Catagonia

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Based on this thread I ordered some pumice from Bonsai Tonight. They seem to be out of everything else at the moment. But the pumice arrived very quickly. It seems like a good option, thank you!

Top Bottom