Which Tree and Why?

Was there a reason you didn't choose this as a front? Because the trunk seems to have more character from this angle. IMO... It looks to twist at the base and you don't notice that in the first photo. Just cuirous...Very nice tree...
View attachment 112594
I want to re-pot the tree when spring arrives so that it comes over the corner of the pot. Therefore when looking from straight in the front you will have this view. Right now it is still winter here in South Africa so had to show it from the side. It is also in need of a trim once the buds start to break.

I want to re-pot the tree when spring arrives so that it comes over the corner of the pot. Therefore when looking from straight in the front you will have this view. Right now it is still winter here in South Africa so had to show it from the side. It is also in need of a trim once the buds start to break.
Gotcha...sometimes they speak to us after they are potted...of another direction. I think this is by far...a valuable front as a new direction at repot time. Very nice tree. One I would love on my own bench. It has character! It's more than a tree in a pot...if you ask me.

Gotcha...sometimes they speak to us after they are potted...of another direction. I think this is by far...a valuable front as a new direction at repot time. Very nice tree. One I would love on my own bench. It has character! It's more than a tree in a pot...if you ask me.
Thanks so much

With regards to the Juniper, I also believe that it has great potential if the guy who is currently butchering it, takes a few steps back and looks at what he is doing. I believe he put enormous stress on the tree and that is why it does not look happy. I do not think it is Spider mite but more the severe bending and thinning of the foliage on the cascade that is causing the damage. I also fear that if the canopy is not thinned out there is a good chance that the lower cascade branch could be lost.

Hi Boet!

The tree is in stress, the juvenile growth on it testifies to that, prob a combination of bad soil and too much work at one time with too little recovery period and too much water. I agree that cascading branch has a very good chance of being aborted by the tree in favor of the branches higher up with much more green. let's hope not...

ps. I like Cadillactaste's suggestion of a front

best regards
Herman

@Dorian Fourie - Hi, I would have voted for #2, the monkey thorn. Your tree is healthy, has a appearance of maturity, and over all is much further along in development. So hands down I would have voted for your tree.

If you don't mind, as a critique, I'll offer some thoughts. First the pot is a nice pot, probably Yi Xing, from China. They are well made pots. Often that style pot is used for Cymbidium orchids, think a grassy fountain of leaves and a cascading stem of flowers. They use them for cascading Penjing too. Frequently with a pot that tall, the cascade comes down to below the base of the pot, and ends just above the base of the stand that the was made for the pot. Your cascade is too short for the pot, it needs to come down further if you want to keep it in this pot. The color of the pot works better when the tree has leaves. If you keep them as a combo, I would continue the cascade to just below the base of the pot. If you keep the cascade shorter, then a shorter, Japanese style semi-cascade pot would be in order. Your acacia has somewhat of a penjing feel, but not strong enough that someone would immediately think Penjing, you might consider taking it more a Chinese style if you want to keep the pot and tree paired. If you have the cascade come over the corner of the pot, still keep the trunk as near to dead center of the pot as possible. Don't know if you can, but that is what I would do.

I do like your accent, but not necessarily with your tree. Again the whole display was not quite coherent. BUT, all that said, it was better than the Juniper. Your display at least had some thought put into it.

In terms of future development for the acacia, I noticed many of the branches were fairly long and straight. I would consider reducing all the straight branches to short single node lengths, and then work on getting more movement in them. You want more zig zags, up and down and left and right. Some of your straight branches are just too long without forking or turning. If you are not in a hurry, clip and grow might be better than trying to do this with wire. Or a combination of clip and grow and wiring would be quickest. But I really like the age, the fat nebari, and the development of your trunk. You have a nice start there. More than a start, it is now the branching that needs the focus. Your main trunk is great.

The juniper looks in poor health, as others said, the cascade branch looks so weak I doubt it will survive. It was nice material, but like any cascade, you must keep the upper portion pruned short to keep it from sacrificing the cascade branch in favor of the upper parts of the tree. I would have never brought a tree that unhealthy in for display. Not to mention the wiring job. If you looked only at the "potential tree" and not the actual tree on display, the juniper certainly had a lot of potential, but looking at what was actually displayed, that juniper looked like it was going to drop the cascading branch if not expire entirely.

Hi, I would have voted for #2, the monkey thorn. Your tree is healthy, has a appearance of maturity, and over all is much further along in development. So hands down I would have voted for your tree.

If you don't mind, as a critique, I'll offer some thoughts. First the pot is a nice pot, probably Yi Xing, from China. They are well made pots. Often that style pot is used for Cymbidium orchids, think a grassy fountain of leaves and a cascading stem of flowers. They use them for cascading Penjing too. Frequently with a pot that tall, the cascade comes down to below the base of the pot, and ends just above the base of the stand that the was made for the pot. Your cascade is too short for the pot, it needs to come down further if you want to keep it in this pot. The color of the pot works better when the tree has leaves. If you keep them as a combo, I would continue the cascade to just below the base of the pot. If you keep the cascade shorter, then a shorter, Japanese style semi-cascade pot would be in order. Your acacia has somewhat of a penjing feel, but not strong enough that someone would immediately think Penjing, you might consider taking it more a Chinese style if you want to keep the pot and tree paired. If you have the cascade come over the corner of the pot, still keep the trunk as near to dead center of the pot as possible. Don't know if you can, but that is what I would do.

I do like your accent, but not necessarily with your tree. Again the whole display was not quite coherent. BUT, all that said, it was better than the Juniper. Your display at least had some thought put into it.

In terms of future development for the acacia, I noticed many of the branches were fairly long and straight. I would consider reducing all the straight branches to short single node lengths, and then work on getting more movement in them. You want more zig zags, up and down and left and right. Some of your straight branches are just too long without forking or turning. If you are not in a hurry, clip and grow might be better than trying to do this with wire. Or a combination of clip and grow and wiring would be quickest. But I really like the age, the fat nebari, and the development of your trunk. You have a nice start there. More than a start, it is now the branching that needs the focus. Your main trunk is great.

The juniper looks in poor health, as others said, the cascade branch looks so weak I doubt it will survive. It was nice material, but like any cascade, you must keep the upper portion pruned short to keep it from sacrificing the cascade branch in favor of the upper parts of the tree. I would have never brought a tree that unhealthy in for display. Not to mention the wiring job. If you looked only at the "potential tree" and not the actual tree on display, the juniper certainly had a lot of potential, but looking at what was actually displayed, that juniper looked like it was going to drop the cascading branch if not expire entirely.
Hi Leo

Thanks so much for you detailed critique. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me feedback.

I do not think that I want the acacia to grow any bigger then it currently is so a pot change looks like the best option. But I do love the pot and it will get a suitable tree in the future. I have googled Semi cascade bonsai pots and I understand why you would believe it works better. I have to get some pots for my other trees so I just added another one onto the list.

I have a great love for Tillandsia (Airplants) and after using that one, I believe they can make fantastic accent plants for bonsai. My level of expertise on accent plants is lacking so something I need to work on.

With regards to the current branching on the acacia, I absolutely agree with you on some of the branches being too straight. I am just waiting for the first buds to start breaking and it is going to be cut back. I will also do some wiring on the branches and work harder on the clip and grow as I believe that is the best way to grow.

The juniper is definitely a tree that has great potential and only time will tell if the tree will survive the butchering. Chances are (imo) is that it will not and I will not see that tree again.

Thanks once again for the feedback and definitely well received.

D

Back
Top Bottom