Why do I do this crap?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
NOW.... I think I better change the tenor to WHY DO I MESS WITH .....PINES ??
My nice tractable and obedient junipers like me and will "get the idea" when I wire them.
They seem to LIKE what I do to them and reward me with staying somewhat where I train them to go..

But PINES.... aagggghhhhhh..... WE WANT WIRE FOREVER, YOU DOLT !!! :mad:

Which is an attitude incompatible with the whole bonsai attraction.

Not relaxing at all. Get a somewhat evocative composition like a nice little....oh say.... OLIVE will provide and does it STAY?

NO!

Off the damn limb goes doing what IT wants to do. Springy, disobedient SHRUBS !!!!

I mean who sticks around keeping wire on the 3000 year old Bristlecones in the Sierras?

Hello, operator? Get me Japan please. o_O
Ah... now we are at the great point of realization:

Wiring is bonsai. And bonsai is wiring.

Think about it for a sec. What other activity involves wrapping little pieces of wire around tree branches?

None!

Oh, keeping plants in containers is common. Pruning for shape is common. But spiral wrapping branches is unique to bonsai!

Learn to enjoy wiring! It is what makes our art unique!

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
NOW.... I think I better change the tenor to WHY DO I MESS WITH .....PINES ??
My nice tractable and obedient junipers like me and will "get the idea" when I wire them.
They seem to LIKE what I do to them and reward me with staying somewhat where I train them to go..

But PINES.... aagggghhhhhh..... WE WANT WIRE FOREVER, YOU DOLT !!! :mad:

Which is an attitude incompatible with the whole bonsai attraction.

Not relaxing at all. Get a somewhat evocative composition like a nice little....oh say.... OLIVE will provide and does it STAY?

NO!

Off the damn limb goes doing what IT wants to do. Springy, disobedient SHRUBS !!!!

I mean who sticks around keeping wire on the 3000 year old Bristlecones in the Sierras?

Hello, operator? Get me Japan please. o_O
Mike,
I agree with you on how pines demand constant wire attention.
What I have found over time is that guy wiring helps considerably and the wire can be removed from the branch after training and the guy wire stays on to keep the branch "reasonably" in place. Also, the guy can be hidden more easily and doesn't detract from the tree beauty nearly as much as wire on the branch ( especially for show).
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Leonard

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mike,
I agree with you on how pines demand constant wire attention.
What I have found over time is that guy wiring helps considerably and the wire can be removed from the branch after training and the guy wire stays on to keep the branch "reasonably" in place. Also, the guy can be hidden more easily and doesn't detract from the tree beauty nearly as much as wire on the branch ( especially for show).
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Leonard
That depends on the guy wire. Generally speaking, guy wires are not appropriate when showing. On conifers, spiral wire is allowed. If the guy wire goes from one branch to another within the canopy, that’s ok. If the guy wire runs from the canopy to the soil, not ok for a show.

Top Bottom