Why Grow on Tile?

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have tried the tile method once as an brief experiment to see if the tree would survive. I used a piece of vinyl tile, drilled a hole in it and the tree. Screwed the tree to the tile. Tree survived the year it was in the ground. I moved just the tree to a grow box.
The information I found here somewhere about screwing the tree to the tile or board.
I don’t remember what the roots looked like. I just needed to get it out of the ground.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Quick question guys,

I just prepared some space in the garden that i can ground grow, do you think its a good idea to palnt the trees now or wait till spring ? I mopre liklely would have to trim existing roots etc.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have always trimmed roots well and planted from mid winter through to spring when growth starts in my mild climate. I suspect Ireland will have similar temps so it the ground does not freeze solid for weeks or months any time from mid winter.
There's a growing body of info about autumn (late summer?) root pruning being fine but I have not tried that yet. It may be just a little late for that now but our mild climates may allow more flexibility. How optimistic do you feel?

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ohh, iam optimistic, however i dont want to loose the trees:)
I guess late summer repotting would be fine but as you said - i think its a bit late for that, on top of it they are saying winter will be very harsh this year so I guess i will go with safer option and maybe plant them in around february/march, i guess i will take same approche as normal repotting and root prunning, once buds start to swallow.
Cheers

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been in the plant business for most of my adult life, say abour 50 years. For most tree species, planting early to mid autumn is the best time to plant trees in ground planting.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Waiting a few months will not actually set you back because, even if you plant now and they survive, there will be no growth over winter anyway. Use the time to get the soil and watering infrastructure ready.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
this is just another one of those where youre going to get varied answers and opinions.sometimes in this hobby i think you just have to take the initiative and try out things for yourself to gain the experience. i actually prefer to put stuff in the ground when growth has slowed as then i dont need to be out there watering them in until they get established.by spring theyre raring to go.
i also plant in spring or in summer but at those times im more attentive to watering in until established.no rules in my garden i just do.
sometimes ill put stuff in the ground just to free up space on my balcony, ill do this at any time i choose to.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What im worried about now is trimming the roots, i dont want them to get rotten during the winter, so i guess i will do it as i planned in early spring :)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In fall planting you do get root development, particularly when soil temperature is still warm and air temperature dips. I have seen this hundreds of times with landscape material. Conifers in particular will benifet from fall planting. I am only reluctant to fall planting when the plant in question is borderline for winter hardiness.
I will be planting several dozen plants in the ground this month here in Northern Virginia.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In fall planting you do get root development, particularly when soil temperature is still warm and air temperature dips. I have seen this hundreds of times with landscape material. Conifers in particular will benifet from fall planting. I am only reluctant to fall planting when the plant in question is borderline for winter hardiness.
I will be planting several dozen plants in the ground this month here in Northern Virginia.

And are you going to trim all the roots etc ? All my trees will required hard work on roots.
I was usually planting landscape trees in fall but not pre-bonsai.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Quick question guys,

I just prepared some space in the garden that i can ground grow, do you think its a good idea to palnt the trees now or wait till spring ? I mopre liklely would have to trim existing roots etc.
what are you planting? what do the current root systems look like?

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
what are you planting?

Im planning to put them on the tile/wooden plank to develope good roots, that will require probably to saw off some big roots to make it flat etc
so i think that would kill the trees if i do it now.
The trees im going to plant are some Maples, Tilia, horbeams, alder, prunus nigra, crab apples, oaks, sprouce, beech and maybe 1 or 2 pines and some other small saplings etc.
I have space maybe for 10 trees.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Im planning to put them on the tile/wooden plank to develope good roots, that will require probably to saw off some bigrootsa to make it flat etc
so i think that would kill the trees if i do it now.
The trees im going to plant are some Maples, Tilia, horbeam, sprouce and maybe 1 or 2 pines and some other small saplings etc.
I have space maybe for 10 trees.
if you saw off some big roots while leaving plenty of feeder roots, the tree shouldnt die it will just wake up in spring as normal.only you know what stage your roots are in, you didnt share any pics so its hard to really judge.
also, sometimes a few big roots depending where they are, are needed to form the basis of a nebari and will help to widen or thicken a base, i dont always remove big roots, you should know when and why youre removing roots.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And are you going to trim all the roots etc ? All my trees will required hard work on roots.
I was usually planting landscape trees in fall but not pre-bonsai.
I will be certainly doing some root pruning but probably not a lot because I did root pruning in the early spring.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks guys for all advices,
The trees are only in early development stage, so kinda sticks in the pots for now, no photos as all are potted.
I got most of them as bare root trees last year, i wanted them to survive so i didnt do much root prunning last spring, so thats another reason i want them in the pots till spring.
Honestly, i dont think this will set me back anyway if i plant them in the spring.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i dont think this will set me back anyway if i plant them in the spring

That's a good mindset. Patience.

But if I may...

Define "harsh" for your winter.
I say this because a place that gets 4ft of snow regularly gets "harsh" when there is 8ft of snow....

Either which will insulate your trees well.

Sorce

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Sorce,

I know what you saying but if we get 4 foot of snow here, its national cataclism, country is out of everything and stops :)
In Ireland you can expect everything, usually we have very mild winter with only couple of colder days but it suppost to go to -14 C this winter and it might be for a week or so and warmer temps will come and cold aftert again, very unpredictable weather so i dont want to risk, i was overexcited last year and put some trees in the greenhouse in early February, this didnt end up well, some of them are still getting back to normal after we got colder spell in late March
We will see :)

I was sort of in mood to do it as i only set up backgarden growing bed yesterday and was going with the flo....

Top Bottom