Will this false cypress survive

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Repotted about a year ago, from nursery stock, soil used was bonsia jack premixed soil, but kept quite big part of the original soil/root ball

It's slowly turning yellow - is it normal or if it's dying? Any suggestion how to rescue?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230118_122359.jpg
    20230118_122359.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 56
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hard to tell, but looks like its just shedding old foliage, is there any yellow/brown areas at the ends of branches or is at all behind green healthy growth?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Started from those behind green growth, but now seems all over the place.

It's on a deck outside, even during the cold days during Christmas when temperature really dropped to lower teens.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I winter my hinoki just setting on the ground in the north burbs of Chicago, a much more severe climate than yours. Winter is not the cause of your problem.

Most likely the problem is you kept too much of the old soil when you repotted. Now you have a pot where the media is not uniform. The new media is likely drying out and the old is staying too wet. This is my guess. I would check roots, maybe bare root and repot into fresh media in spring if you agree with my conjecture.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I winter my hinoki just setting on the ground in the north burbs of Chicago, a much more severe climate than yours. Winter is not the cause of your problem.

Most likely the problem is you kept too much of the old soil when you repotted. Now you have a pot where the media is not uniform. The new media is likely drying out and the old is staying too wet. This is my guess. I would check roots, maybe bare root and repot into fresh media in spring if you agree with my conjecture.
Thank you, I suspect that is the problem as well.
With the tree's health status like this, bare root it/wash the root, seems a big risk, but if not do it, seems a certain death....

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You can always half bare root it in spring, and do the next half bare root the next year.

Top Bottom