Willow Leaf Ficus

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mine is too, but that thing makes me crazy. It drops it's leaves by December and literally sits like a dead thing. It was June before if finally showed signs of life again. It tries my patience worse than my son and that's saying alot.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Whats your substrate consit of? The top layer looks pretty thick. The tree looks healthy though!
Thanks!
Its lava, pumice and Fir bark as I recall...the thick sludgey top layer is old sphagnum moss that should have been replaced many moons ago.....but water still flows through it and its a good insulator from wind and sun, keeps my tree alive on my long work days.....
This tree is my monitor during summer....if this one needs water, they all get water.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Mine is too, but that thing makes me crazy. It drops it's leaves by December and literally sits like a dead thing. It was June before if finally showed signs of life again. It tries my patience worse than my son and that's saying alot.
I had some decent growth over winter from it, as I recall.....but mostly dormant....yeah.
I try to push mine as much as I can with lots of light.... But the room stays a constant 60f over winter, which seems to make the ficus trees unsure whether to grow or not....sometimes they do.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Last year I didn't do any defoliation when I brought my trops inside, to give them a break.
But I may do it again this year.
I think doing that makes them want to grow thru winter.....or at least flush out once in Fall.

cdefoe

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a

i think there's no getting around this reaction with the transition. my willow leaf, which i bought at a club auction, sulked for almost a year and dropped all it's leaves. i've got it under a pretty decent light setup now and it's pushed out a bunch of new growth and seems to be happy now that it's adjusted to life inside

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I had some decent growth over winter from it, as I recall.....but mostly dormant....yeah.
I try to push mine as much as I can with lots of light.... But the room stays a constant 60f over winter, which seems to make the ficus trees unsure whether to grow or not....sometimes they do.
I keep all my trops in my kitchen. So my favs get the southern exposure, the others get the eastern. I have LED strip lights, that I'm sure don't provide enough light, but I can't have crazy bright lights in a room we spend alot of time in. I don't have a dedicated room for them so they get the 65-70 temps all winter. I need a greenhouse!! But that wouldn't go over well here, I imagine.

cdefoe

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
i think there's no getting around this reaction with the transition. my willow leaf, which i bought at a club auction last year and presumably was kept outside in summer, sulked for almost a year and dropped all it's leaves. i've got it under a pretty decent light setup now and it's pushed out a bunch of new growth and seems to be happy now that it's adjusted to life inside

double post - tried to edit but apparently it quotes you if a reply has been made while editing 😮🤔

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
i think there's no getting around this reaction with the transition. my willow leaf, which i bought at a club auction, sulked for almost a year and dropped all it's leaves. i've got it under a pretty decent light setup now and it's pushed out a bunch of new growth and seems to be happy now that it's adjusted to life inside
I think you can basically speed up the transition by defoliating the tree the same day you bring it in.
Then it pushes out a new set of leaves which are only exposed to my artificial lights and indoor temperatures.
It may go dormant that after that, but at least I've got one more flush out of it for the year.

Edit: And this should only be done on a very healthy and vigouros tree.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I think you can basically speed up the transition by defoliating the tree the same day you bring it in.
Then it pushes out a new set of leaves which are only exposed to my artificial lights and indoor temperatures.
It may go dormant that after that, but at least I've got one more flush out of it for the year.

Edit: And this should only be done on a very healthy and vigouros tree.
Interesting. Maybe I'll try that this year. I've been putting up with it playing dead for half the year for 3 years now, couldn't hurt.

Top Bottom