Wire caddy

simon84

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi all. Does anyone know where you can get some sort of wire holding device so you can reel it off nice and easy. Ive seen a plastic one from japan but that was way to expensive.

Thanks simon.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Try here and go to the bottom of the page:)

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I have built a few prototypes for wire caddies (ala mad scientist) and came to this conclusion - they all suck. Even the Japanese ones do, unless you are in to anal retentive wire management (and it's fine if you are). The issues with caddies are that it takes a bit of work to add a new spool to the rig. Then if the wire tangles or backlashes... what a mess. Most are not designed with copper wire in mind (and that rules them out for me as I use copper and aluminum). Then there is the issue that all wire manufacturers coil wire in varying sizes of coils (diameter) and that leads to backlash on a spool. Copper is coiled even more sporadic than aluminum as it will work harden as it is bent so smaller gauge needs to be in smaller coils and larger gauge needs to be in big coils.

I have built a couple of wire racks and I think they are great. Dale Cochoy recently used one at a club demo and seemed to be pleased (or perhaps he was being polite). He commented on how he disliked a commercial one he had and basically has his wire laying on a table. The rack differs from the caddy as it simply is a frame with a series of hooks on both sides to hang coils of wire until they are needed. I made a 4 hook and a 6 hook unit. I'm the type of person that would rather grab the entire coil of wire and pull of what is needed and hang it back up. I added a handle to make moving it about easier. I built the rack to work with the largest coil of copper down to the smallest coil of copper or aluminum.

I don't have photos of a completed one as they are at the powder coater now. If you want to see one send me a PM and I will give you some info. I also make a line of turntables... but I don't want to abuse BNut as free advertising. My web site is in my profile.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I got this one at a club auction/raffle..
Hope this helps!
Irene

Reaction score
I hate messing with wire so I just have nails on the wall with various sizes hanging from them, when I need some wire i gust grab the whole roll.

I can see where a caddy would be helpful at demos and workshops where lots of people are.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hate messing with wire so I just have nails on the wall with various sizes hanging from them, when I need some wire i gust grab the whole roll.

I can see where a caddy would be helpful at demos and workshops where lots of people are.

This is a pretty good solution except that you can kink your copper wire by hanging it. I use a large plastic "milk-carton" type bakery tray and lay my copper flat in it. Yes, I have to sort through it when I start to wire, but that's better than finding hard spots, I think.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is a pretty good solution except that you can kink your copper wire by hanging it.... but that's better than finding hard spots, I think.
I'm not sure I am following your train of thought on this one Chris. I hang all my wire and have not seen of felt any adverse effects.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
My tool bag has a center compartment that is wide enough to place rools of wire in side by side, preventing tangles while still allowing me to easily remove the roll I need at the moment.

My question is how the hect do you find the right end? Sometimes I find five or six on the same roll. ;)

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure I am following your train of thought on this one Chris. I hang all my wire and have not seen of felt any adverse effects.

With copper wire, one has to be careful any time one handles a roll. Dropping the roll will bend the wire, hardening it in the process. Carefully putting it on a nail should be fine, but I don't suppose you'd be playing ring toss, anyway.:rolleyes:

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My question is how the hect do you find the right end? Sometimes I find five or six on the same roll. ;)

Will
Elementary my Dear Watson :) I leave the original tie wraps on, re-tighten as required and always cut near a tie wrap. When finished I just bend the end up and I know where the end is. Of course this is easier accomplished with a fresh roll, and using the outside course from the very beginning. I hope this helps.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
With copper wire, one has to be careful any time one handles a roll. Dropping the roll will bend the wire, hardening it in the process. Carefully putting it on a nail should be fine, but I don't suppose you'd be playing ring toss, anyway.:rolleyes:

Yes indeed I can see your point, but as you mentioned, I don't play toss with 'em :p

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Elementary my Dear Watson :) I leave the original tie wraps on, re-tighten as required and always cut near a tie wrap. When finished I just bend the end up and I know where the end is. Of course this is easier accomplished with a fresh roll, and using the outside course from the very beginning. I hope this helps.

Oh sure, if you want to be organized about it. ;D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
... well I don't have any loose ends, which you have stated is a problem for you Will. I just offered a solution:cool:

Rick, take a minute, go back to my orginal post. That round thing that looks like a face with one winking eye, means I was joking around, being funny, lightening the mood, etc. My statement was not to be taken as seriously as you did.

But thanks anyhow,

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rick, take a minute, go back to my orginal post. That round thing that looks like a face with one winking eye, means I was joking around, being funny, lightening the mood, etc. My statement was not to be taken as seriously as you did.

But thanks anyhow,

Will

To the Cafeteria with both of you! HA!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris, ain't nobody going to your forum, let it go....wasn't it you not long ago complaining about blant advertising outside of a signature, or was it even in a signature?

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris, ain't nobody going to your forum, let it go....wasn't it you not long ago complaining about blant advertising outside of a signature, or was it even in a signature?

Will
You mean the SPAM humor that you got so explosive about? Nope.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
No. I mean you complaining about people advertising, what was it, a contest?

I see your hearing has improved.

Will

Top Bottom