Wired out my willow leaf shohin

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is the little willow leaf ficus root cutting that I got from Schley’s Bonsai last fall when I went to Florida. It’s been putting on a little growth as I’ve had it under lights, but I haven’t wired or cut it back. Now that it’s outside I chose the initial branches and cut off the unneeded ones, then decided it’s got enough length on the branches that I could put the initial direction into them, not much movement though.

IMG_0021.jpg

From the back it’s easier to see the chop mark where it was cut back before I bought it. Also easier to see where I’ve wired the top branch to use as a sacrifice branch. Luckily there is a new branch emerging lower on the top branch that I can eventually cut back to.

IMG_0022.jpg

The pot is a little deep, but I wanted room to develop a nice root system this summer. Hopefully next year I can get it in a better pot.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Root cuttings make awesome little trees. I like it -- keep us posted as to how it develops.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A quick update to this one. I pulled the wire off of it a few weeks ago as I noticed it biting in a little bit. I was feeling pretty good about it, but then it got knocked out of the pot. It's doing well though.

IMG_0003.jpg

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
but then it got knocked out of the pot.

A note to anyone who repots a bonsai: ALWAYS WIRE THE TREE INTO THE POT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know, I know! I'm lucky it happened to be something tough like this plant. I am wiring all of my plants into the pots from now on. :cool:

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A note to anyone who repots a bonsai: ALWAYS WIRE THE TREE INTO THE POT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Truer words could not be spoken about bonsai! It took me some time to learn this lesson.:(

Top Bottom