Wiring help?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yes this I knew.

Thing is, us newbs don't have trees that need/deserve the best wire, and Julians is also cheaper. I was going to buy gremmels but Julians was a bit cheaper and I figure I will buy gremmels when I have better trees.
Last time I did a price comparison, Jim's was cheaper, and by enough to matter. Comparing the two requires you to do a conversion because Jim sells by weight and Julian sells by length. And that was before Julian added a 20% surcharge.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
What is it you are trying to accomplish with this wiring? I don't see where or how this is adding movement and holding the branches (especially the trunk) in place.

I have typically used aluminum wire for deciduous trees and copper for pines & conifers. Maples are fast growers and the aluminum is a bit more forgiving. You need to watch them carefully and remove it before it cuts and scars the tree.

Those Craftsy videos by Colin Lewis are pretty good and you should check them out.

Practice, practice, practice..

Good luck.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes this I knew.

Thing is, us newbs don't have trees that need/deserve the best wire, and Julians is also cheaper. I was going to buy gremmels but Julians was a bit cheaper and I figure I will buy gremmels when I have better trees.
You get more wire on Gremel's spools than Adams.

They're physically larger, too. The diameter of the spool. Which means it's "straighter", when taken off the spool. Which means it will be bent less when wiring the branches. Which will allow you to lay the wire on better. Loose wire doesn't wotk as well and doesn't look as good. Wiring is a part of the "art" of bonsai. It should not detract from the beauty of the tree.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You get more wire on Gremel's spools than Adams.

They're physically larger, too. The diameter of the spool. Which means it's "straighter", when taken off the spool. Which means it will be bent less when wiring the branches. Which will allow you to lay the wire on better. Loose wire doesn't wotk as well and doesn't look as good. Wiring is a part of the "art" of bonsai. It should not detract from the beauty of the tree.
I didn't know, I was just reccomending what I got and that I was happy with it.

Also gremel is further from me so shipping would take longer and I think more expensive, don't remember.

I know wiring is part of The art aspect, and it's honestly the 'funnest' part to me.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tell you this.

If you got that wire on that nice, you're gonna either poop, or slap yourself when you use annealed wire. It will be easy as hell!

Sorce

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I wanted to say that there is room for the branch to grow, but it looks like a acer/maple and they don't like wire.

p.s: Did i mention that im a newb also and me liking your wire isn't really worth anything :)

Just a question... Why are you offering advice when you say yourself that you are a n00b? Don't confuse people when you don't know for sure. You don't see me instructing people on wiring because don't know enough to say anything.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just a question... Why are you offering advice when you say yourself that you are a n00b? Don't confuse people when you don't know for sure. You don't see me instructing people on wiring because don't know enough to say anything.
That's why i mentioned my experience level so people can decide theirselves.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Tell you this.

If you got that wire on that nice, you're gonna either poop, or slap yourself when you use annealed wire. It will be easy as hell!

Sorce
That's good to here Sorce thanks!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Deborah Koreshoff's book "Bonsai" has a great section on wiring. Lots of diagrams, and how to achieve the type of bend you are looking to make as well as how to move from branch to branch, and anchoring. Really great all around book anyway, but this is largely what I learned to wire from.
Just ordered this book Judy thanks for the recommendation !

Top Bottom